Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Ideas on what to see in Vermont and/or Connecticut?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Neal

Staff member
RVF Administrator
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Ventana 4037
RV Length
40' 10"
Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
After my stop in Wisconsin the last week of July I'm heading north east, probably not through Canada as planned but that's not completely out, I'm just limited on time this trip before I have to be back in Virginia. The North East is my least traveled/explored in my lifetime and I'm looking for suggestions of places to go and see, do, etc. For those with some experience in the VT, CT areas where do you suggest I go for a few weeks? I have maybe a month to explore the area.

Thanks!

There are many great things to see both in Vermont and CT. If you like to explore I'd suggest do so in your Tow vehicle. Many of the local roads are not suitable for a larger RV. Narrow, curvy roads, low bridges, dirt roads, etc. Generally a bad day for RVs. https://member.coach-net.com/members/pdfs/lowclearancebridgeinfo.pdf

I grew up there and have driven most of these roads as a Local. There were many hazards that may have been corrected but VT especially is very slow to change.

The easiest way to find what might suit you is by Internet search. Some might find Ben and Jerry's Factory a must stop and other folks might like the Lincoln house and Mt. Washington cog railway. THE 15 BEST Things to Do in Vermont - 2023 (with Photos) - Tripadvisor

Stowe has some wonderful things to see but over the years it has become a Corporate Tourist destination, Vail Resorts, rather than a quaint VT town. THE 15 BEST Things to Do in Stowe - 2023 (with Photos) - Tripadvisor

Burlington has something for everyone, lake shore, Foodie stops, quaint New England ambiance. THE 15 BEST Things to Do in Burlington - 2023 (with Photos) - Tripadvisor

Go North to the Northeast Kingdom for old VT experience. THE 15 BEST Things to Do in Northeast Kingdom - 2023 (with Photos) - Tripadvisor

CT has much the same but with many, many more people. Hartford has many attractions but the Sound Shore has the real history and tourist things. Western Shore is very congested while Eastern Shore has a more rural New England feel.

Watch out for low bridges, especially railroad bridges and unsuitable roads for RVs.

If you are interested in the Burlington area you might use the Essex Ferry to cross the lake. We did it in the Canyon Star several times.
Maneuvering on can be a bit tricky but we did it with the VW on the dolly without an issue.
IMG_0420.jpegIMG_0443.jpeg

Great answer Joe, I am asked all the time from people I am working for what to see in Maine....as a native of 52 years, I don't know how to answer them. I grew up way Downeast and I know what the natives do......but hard to tell someone how to see it. I take people back and take them out with friends on a lobster boat, go fishing between Lubec and Campobello Island, NB for mackeral, or ride the incredible ATV trails available now. All that is dependent on knowing where and when to go. Most of us natives don't like the tourist trap areas and don't like telling people to go there. Its a blend of fake Maine and real Maine.
My avatar is Cutler Harbor from the Crosman wharf, formerly Neil Corbetts for most of my life, there is no way to tell people how to enjoy the incredible things the area has to offer, there is no RV parking in the area. That may change with time, but not quickly.
As I tell people here in Tenn., go up with me, spend at least 3 weeks to a month, and you will love it.

If you find yourself in the Groton CT area you should check out the submarine museum. Will see pieces of my first boat (USS Billfish SSN 676) as well as others there. Spent 5 1/2 years on that particular boat.

Old Mystic Village is a cool place to visit which is in the Groton area.

My old business partner a great friend was on a diesel/electric out of Groton.....I have been right down to the base delivering lobsters from Maine....

After my stop in Wisconsin the last week of July I'm heading north east, probably not through Canada as planned but that's not completely out, I'm just limited on time this trip before I have to be back in Virginia. The North East is my least traveled/explored in my lifetime and I'm looking for suggestions of places to go and see, do, etc. For those with some experience in the VT, CT areas where do you suggest I go for a few weeks? I have maybe a month to explore the area.

Thanks!
We love the NE, but if you have a month, everything is so close up there , you have plenty of time to visit Maine! You might be a bit late in making reservations. Best of luck! Judy D

Latest resources

Back