Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Initial thoughts on LifePO4 (Lithium) battery conversion in my 2017 Newmar Ventana

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Yes, I will be replacing the BIM as @Richpatty did as well in his thread on moving to lithium.

If I come across a good sale I'll consider 3 GC3's but I think 2 is the correct size. I can also say since installing solar I've had a limited number of times that I actually used it. I do want to boondock more and this may drive me to do just that.

You DP folks have two more batteries than I. My chief challenge with residential refrigerator is, I cannot comfortably park overnight without significantly running the batteries down. So I end up running the the generator through the night (cough, cough). This is troublesome when two or three of us are parked side by side in a truck stop, all running generators all night. I would welcome enough battery power to run the furnace periodically, without the generator. Of course, then there is the cost issue.

Just a little guys perspective.

And that's what LifePO4 is for, the answer to your needs and bank account :)

Yes, I will be replacing the BIM as @Richpatty did as well in his thread on moving to lithium.

If I come across a good sale I'll consider 3 GC3's but I think 2 is the correct size. I can also say since installing solar I've had a limited number of times that I actually used it. I do want to boondock more and this may drive me to do just that.
Boondocking is the key issue. I see myself boondocking less so I put the brakes on my super system: a 24+kwh Li-ion battery bank and 8kw inverter. The longer I own this coach, the less I want to take it off pavement. But if I were leaning more towards camping unplugged, especially in the South in Summer, things would be different.

Yeah, I have a desire to be off road and off grid but remember the traction of this thing is like an Indy car (grossly overweight). I've been to Quartzsite and loved it. I'd like to seek out more BLM lands when in areas that have those. Harvest Hosts without the need for GEN runs.

I haven't boondocked much other than events like EAA AirVenture, Quartzsite, and ABQ Balloon Fiesta and those with good batteries hardly ran their gen's. So yeah, would I do solar again? Based on my last 5 years probably not but I put it in because I was in storage (open lot) without power and wanted to keep the refer running. Then I moved to a powered covered storage lot. It has been an amazing learning experience/experiment and it does help when your in service shops and don't need to worry about power being depleted. Ehh, it's just DEBT!

More battery is better then more solar panels. They allow you to run longer when the sun does not shine. They can be charged by pedestal or generator. If traveling and charging the capacity is needed to take advantage of the time charging. They do not fit my needs at this time and I cannot for see needing them. After going thru the solar class at school and participating in a $30,000 install, I am aware that full timers that boondock or Harvest Host a lot can take advantage of them. But at great cost.

My post came as you guys were pointing out the uses.....

For me solar, lithium batteries, and inverters became a hobby and pretty much peaked with my last two RVs. But with this coach I would rather be on hard surfaces so I might as well go where the pedestals are. Also I wasnt towing then, so I was more inclined to take the coach to some very out of the way places. Now the jeep can cover that duty and the coach can stay where it belongs. Pics are a Victron Color Control GX and a 24 module battery bank from a Nissan Leaf battery (36 modules) on the Bay Star. That system would run an AC all day and for about 7 hours after sundown.
47B9773F-2B32-4932-8734-ECB0AA105135.jpeg
0A40D0D6-723B-4C1C-8366-7763D4AE9CB7.jpeg

But still, if you have to replace your house batteries, what would you replace them with? Forget boondocking etc.

But still, if you have to replace your house batteries, what would you replace them with? Forget boondocking etc.
Probably just AGMs because I get tired of pumping water into my LA batteries so often. I’m somewhat opposed to LiFePO4 batteries just because I have Li-ion technology available, but going down that road involves more mods that I think I’m willing to get into at this point. So, probably AGMs, maybe 8 of them or some other configuration like 3 8D or something like that.

I assume this is the preferred battery for the AGM option?

Edit: started a new thread so we don't derail this thread. AGM discussion at:

Latest resources

Back