Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Initial thoughts on LifePO4 (Lithium) battery conversion in my 2017 Newmar Ventana

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Also to be considered… how long to you expect to keep your Ventessex?
If not so long, maybe less AH or get AGM…

Another important consideration and one of the reasons I have held off converting my coach to lithium batteries.

At this moment in time I'm keeping it for the long haul. Hence why I replaced TV's and ran upgraded wires, etc. in that this coach is perfect for me. With Newmar's price hikes and quality issues among the economy etc. I don't see a new coach in the near term. My next coach would likely be luxury line such as MA or LA but it would need to be on a FL chassis (let's not go there) but that's my requirement. With that said my mindset is to continue to make my current coach amazing, to me, and keep going the places it takes me. I do have a desire to disconnect (go off grid) and approach near full timing, if not full timing completely but also continue to learn. Much of what I've done in this coach has been about learning including solar so the LifePO4's would go under that learning theme. I wouldn't mind reducing weight and improving storage by taking better advantage of the battery compartment.

I'm not sure my house batteries are needing to be replaced. That's first and foremost, it's just been too hot to pull the plug at night here in Hot Springs, AR. I need to do another test and use the BMV-712 to see what my draws are. The time recently that got my attention was actually correct per the 31A continuous draw going on. I use the pro fill battery watering system which may have helped maintain these batteries but the battery bay is corroded as you know and that would be nice to stop, but this all may be for a year from now.

At least for the one Lithium Iron Phosphate battery that I have here in an indoor amateur radio solar power project, my research indicated that it can be used below 32 degrees F but cannot be recharged below that freezing temperature. This is no problem here with the battery in the house but for an outdoor application, my LiFePO4 battery would need a smart enough charge controller with a battery box temperature probe to avoid damaging the battery during freezing temperatures.

Rick

Battleborn has a BMS in the GC3 to prevent damage, etc. Certainly keeping within params is still something to pay attention to in both building the battery bay as well as use in the field. I've RV'd in both extremes.

Some batteries have built-in heaters to avoid the cold charging issue.
Or you can put an electric heat wrap around the battery that is triggered to heat when temps fall below 40f.

Nice articles by Tito:

It appears 3 x GC3's would fit in the existing battery slideout tray. I'm not sure if LifePO4's have to be enclosed but for winter I could see an enclosure that would go over top of them to box them in. Or create a box with the lid off for summer, install it for winter. The alternative is obviously gut and build a completely new compartment and that's fine, but it's interesting the slider could still be used if desired.

True… my main reason to remove the tray was so I could properly insulate the compartment…. But your alternatives would work too.

Latest resources

Back