Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Initial thoughts on LifePO4 (Lithium) battery conversion in my 2017 Newmar Ventana

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Since installing solar I have rarely used or needed it. Would I do it again? Maybe, or maybe to a more limited extend with storage or service centers in mind (parked in a parking lot for a week unplugged). Our GEN's are awesome and in my mind under used (and utilized). People seem to think as their GEN hour meter goes up value goes down. I'd beg to differ, I've spent more money on things not working from non use than being used or even over used.

So if you have solar and have some desire to enjoy harvesting the power the sun provides then you'll want to pair that with proper batteries. Enjoying pure peace and quiet but also enjoying that you made the energy you used through solar is a "hobby" and not necessity. So yeah, solar, LifePO4's all not required. Reducing front axle weight is a bonus.

You have boiled the argument down to brass tacks Gizmo. These are the same arguments I had with solar guru's at school. The counter arguments are having enough gas and propane to boondock for long durations. Everything is a tradeoff. Pick you poison.
First, Neal, I agree.

Ah, the old fuel argument. This is my take on that. The Wife and I must be full of it because we seem to have to dump our black tanks every 5 to 7 days and hard to conserve water when you have macerating toilets other than setting the water level to low. If I'm truly boondocking there isn't a dump site near so a blue boy is not an option. I go dump my tanks, refill water and get some fuel about every 5 to 7 days. I base my generator's fuel consumption on 50 gallons out of my 100-gallon tank and the full load on the generator burns .75 gallons per hour. I get about 67 hours of generator use or about 8 hours per day gives me an easy 8 days for planning purposes.

I understand Neil's comment that making your own electricity can be a hobby but I don't need another expensive hobby.

Latest resources

Back