• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Installing an ignition switch?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
All - FWIW department, related to this maybe. With chassis master switch off, house master switch off, nothing works on dash/coach. House master switch on, nothing works on gauges/ignition system at all. Chassis switch on/house switch on, everything works period. One exception, step comes out all the time, it's tied directly to battery with inline fuse to protect it. So do not understand why your coach would not shut down once master chassis switch was turned off, regardless of switch position. Now, yours is spartan, ours is FL, but switches do, what switches do. Something amiss here to me.

OK, another long shot. In the Alpine I had to change the alternator to higher amp output after maiden voyage to east coast for RV school. I waited till home. Used delco-remy brand as they had best warranty/output/cooling. It wired up different, and had couple of wires on old one, not needed on new one, something to do with load sense in OEM unit. I used that terminal on new one, made sure it all worked started, but engine would not shut down, but turned off master switch and coach died. Unhooked that lead, turned back on, everything worked fine. So, long shot here, but, could something be amiss in the alternator, which causes engine to not shut down? It would have to be intermittent, but you might look at it that way too. I would try to get into engine compartment and see if all connections on back of alternator, etc. are tight as well, because a lose connection will or could cause this to happen. Yeah, I hate crawling on the ground and being in tight places the older I get. if you go to, irv2.com/alpine forum and search on alternator replacement, you will or should find my post. If not I might still have it, but have to hunt it up.

Not that I know of. I’m not even sure what “DEF HEAD protection mode” is. If that’s the software workaround that @redbaron and others have been discussing recently, then no, I have not done that.

TJ
It's the keep your engine running mode in silverleaf :)

It's the keep your engine running mode in silverleaf :)
Seriously? Please elaborate. Is there really something like this in SilverLeaf? Remember, you are dealing with a “dinosaur” here and I’m feeling a tug on my pants cuff right now.

TJ

I'm convinced when I was having the same issue except it was on a Freightliner Chassis but with a Cummins engine, it was the fuel shut-off valve. Thankfully it only did it on that one trip, albeit happened several times on that trip, it never did it again for several years and several thousands of miles. I know you're frustrated beyond reason and I remember worrying for months is it going to kill the engine this time?

Not that I know of. I’m not even sure what “DEF HEAD protection mode” is. If that’s the software workaround that @redbaron and others have been discussing recently, then no, I have not done that.

TJ

Seriously? Please elaborate. Is there really something like this in SilverLeaf? Remember, you are dealing with a “dinosaur” here and I’m feeling a tug on my pants cuff right now.

TJ

Was hoping for that glimmer of hope that the sense of humor was still there, digging deep, but I think it's gone.

Los Angeles Clippers GIF

Was hoping for that glimmer of hope that the sense of humor was still there, digging deep, but I think it's gone.

Los Angeles Clippers GIF
With this particular situation, the “sense of humor” has worn pretty thin!

TJ

I can completely appreciate that "sense of humor' has departed the building. I have been where you are and trust me, yes, humor can relieve stress, but does not help when trying to pull hair out and fix MH at same time.

So, when the system does not shut off... Does anything else work. Example: If you hit the throttle does the engine RPM increase? Do the gauges still operate? When I shut off my ignition, I hear some air valve release pressure, does that happen on yours? Are there any signals that the ignition command has been altered at all?

Latest resources

Back