• Commercial/Vendors welcome

It is time...for new house batteries! Likely LiFePO4 - calling all DIYers

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Reviewed my quote from Battleborn from ironically one year ago (Oct 2022) and one of the components they suggested was the inverter below. Not a high dollar item in the grand scheme. I wonder if this is worth replacing the Magnum with? What will I gain from this over the Magnum 2812?

I requested a new quote for 3 x heated GC3's and whatever I need to go with it such as BIM, interconnects, etc. I'm not sure how to connect three of these together, cable vs. bars? We'll see what they say, welcome any opinions. I need to find @Richpatty's post and study it again.

Reviewed my quote from Battleborn from ironically one year ago (Oct 2022) and one of the components they suggested was the inverter below. Not a high dollar item in the grand scheme. I wonder if this is worth replacing the Magnum with? What will I gain from this over the Magnum 2812?

I requested a new quote for 3 x heated GC3's and whatever I need to go with it such as BIM, interconnects, etc. I'm not sure how to connect three of these together, cable vs. bars? We'll see what they say, welcome any opinions. I need to find @Richpatty's post and study it again.
The problem with converting to Victron is that you also have to change out your ME-RC for a Victron control unit and I’m not sure the existing wiring is compatible. If it is, that would be simple, but not cheap. If its not, then you are opening up another can of worms.

I have one of these: Victron Energy BPP010300100R - Inverter Supply This is the new touch screen version: Victron Energy BPP900455070 - Inverter Supply

I prefer Victron equipment but I don’t see any gain in converting to Victron in this case unless you’re also increasing the output. What was the rationale given by Battleborn?

I agree with Rich W. I am running with my Magum fine for now…even though I prefer Victron gear…. But is the upgrade worth the work and money?

I would also think twice about the heated batteries. I thought long and hard and decided the additional cost was not justified as I was insulating the compartment and lithiums still work (provide power) at pretty low temps. They just can’t be charged under 32ish. I figure if I ever go somewhere real cold, I will get a 12v heater with a thermostat for the compartment.
my 2 cents.

Good points. Thank you. Also regarding the inverter comes the AGS and I recall a phone discussion a year ago that this requires an electrician.

Keeping it as simple as I can. Just going for batteries and bim.

Some know I have a tendency to RV is cooler than normal locations :)

But I think the impact is boondocking in freezing climates which would be rare. As discussed with solar on this site, 99% of our time we are plugged in to 50A service.

So again good points and may opt out of the heated option. In the grand scheme $100/battery for let’s call a 10 year life it’s pocket change.

Yes the Magnum will work, used a Hybrid 3000w unit on the CanyonStar with LiFePo, and solar. The Inverter was tied to Victron components to manage solar charging LiFePo batteries.

If I had it to do over I would have sprung for the Vitron which has better software and designed to manage solar and LiFePo. Also, Vitron techs are up on latest battery, solar tech. In my experience, several years old now, the Magnum techs will tell you generic settings and little more.

Now the question is 2 vs 3 GC3’s (270 ah) as I could gain some nice storage space in this bay if only 2. I currently carry jack pads and all fluids in this bay on right and left sides of the battery tray. The tray will come out and carpeted wood panels installed to make a nice bay.

Need to break out my Fusion 360 and start designing a plan.

If you seal up your battery compartment you could heat it with something like this:

ThermoSoft In Floor Heating System, 120V, 7.5 Sqft, 1.5 ft. x 5 ft​

Thermostat controlled and $61 on Amazon.

If you seal up your battery compartment you could heat it with something like this:

ThermoSoft In Floor Heating System, 120V, 7.5 Sqft, 1.5 ft. x 5 ft​

Thermostat controlled and $61 on Amazon.
Link? What powers it?

Amazon product ASIN B0749R9BDC
120v, .5 amp. I’m sure its less efficient but might be more economical and if you set the t-stat low, it would almost never be on. Depends on the additional cost of heated batteries and the temp range needed.

Latest resources

Back