Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
Picked up the coach yesterday, my typical routine leaving storage is adding required distilled water, tire pressures, etc. The usual 1/2 gal of distilled water on boarded and noticed a few batteries with corrosion on the terminals which I'll be cleaning and coating as was done in the past. Overnight at my house, no loads, SOC down to 69% in the morning, definitely not good or expected while I did dial down the temp of the basement dometic CF-80 cooler to 26 (usually around 10 below actual) to get the beer cold cold cold.

As the coach is getting new shoes (tires) as I type this, I think the winter project is set which may impact winter plans, we shall see. But my desire is to "remodel" the house battery bay similar to @Richpatty with wood paneling and basement carpet per Newmar in other bays and get some LifePO4's installed and the Li BIM. Move all solar equipment into the bay. Watching for black friday sales with Battleborn, etc. but strongly considering building my own per the diysolar forum and his videos. @Ddmo I believe you mentioned building your own so I welcome any info share here as to how to buy, select, build, etc.

So let's switch to LifePO4 together, any inputs, suggestions, etc. etc. welcome. Time to get this corrosion mess out and a house battery bay to show off to all my friends that want nothing more than to look at a house battery bay while camping that I'm sure will be asking to see :)

No solar or inverter changes expected, just batteries at this time unless I'm super convinced and arm twisted. Hoping to find some great deals this shopping season in this strained economy!

I’m in exactly the same boat. I was already planning to buy new house batteries in the next year or so, but after the shop in Sydney doing repairs on the coach unplugged it and left it that way for an entire weekend, my batteries now have noticeably less capacity and I’ll have to replace them sooner than later.

I’ve only casually looked at various options and haven’t closely compared prices, but one option I’m considering is higher capacity AGMs. The batteries in question have about the same footprint as typical 6v house batteries but get their increased capacity from their 13” height.

Further research comparing useable capacity, price, and installation mods for LiPo’s will lead me to the final decision. I‘ve pretty much ruled out another custom Li-ion battery back just becuase of the complexity of charging and monitoring, although for me that would provide the most capacity for my battery dollar. But I’d rather keep it simple and stick with a 12v system this time.

The AGMs in question:

In my opinion I'd go with BattleBorn, or other battery designed for mobile use. for easy of install and reliability. Also, if something goes wrong, battery short/fire, you are able to hopefully hold MFG liable. The BattleBorn are build for the RV environment as well, I believe.

DIY battery banks in an isolated, stable area are great fun to build and maintain. If things go wrong with cells and/or controller you can limit the damage, hopefully.

Or you could go with a little more complicated install. Newmar purchased Lithionics, would be my prefered vendor. Lithionics Battery

I’ve only casually looked at various options and haven’t closely compared prices, but one option I’m considering is higher capacity AGMs.
That is not off the table. I considered buying AGM's and having Newmar possibly install "customer supplied" batteries while there in Nov, but that's rapidly approaching. But an option as well, I just hate to have all that weight on the front if not necessary and also enjoy more usable capacity.
In my opinion I'd go with BattleBorn, or other battery designed for mobile use. for easy of install and reliability. Also, if something goes wrong, battery short/fire, you are able to hopefully hold BattleBorn liable. The BattleBorn are build for the RV environment as well, I believe.
Strongly considering as it is nice to have an expert to talk to (customer service) such as Magnum/Victron settings that need to change, etc. They also have the units with the heaters. Yeah, they probably built their own just as I could, but they have the expertise and support and that's worth $$$.

After a brief review it looks like either 6 of the 6v 300ah AGMs (900ah bank), or 6 12v 100ah LiPOs (600ah bank) would deliver about the same useable capacity - both banks should deliver between 450ah and 500ah of useable power. The other consideration is the life expectancy of the batteries in number of cycles which I don’t yet have information about.

The LiPOs are twice the price but my guess is that they have about 4 times the lifespan, although the lifespan of the AGMs can be extended with minimal cycling and a higher capacity bank will help make this possible. And then of course there is the weight. Before I make this purchase I’ll do a more accurate comparison, unless of course someone else does it first… ;^)

Probably 3 of the above and I expect to glow at night!

Why did whomever (Newmar?) choose 6V instead of 12V batteries? Is there some advantage of running 6V batteries in the way they are connected?

Why did whomever (Newmar?) choose 6V instead of 12V batteries? Is there some advantage of running 6V batteries in the way they are connected?
Are you talking the flooded lead acid?

From what I’ve read 6v or 12v makes no difference either way. And its nearly the same amount of cable either way. So I’d guess its more about supply and cost.

Doing the math on the 270ah “Game Changer” vs their 100ah 12v LiPOs, it’s same cost per AH either way (no real surprise) so it would just depend on how much capacity you need. If you need the extra 150ah (net) from the 3 Game Changer set up, then the extra $1800 would be well spent. But compared to the 300ah net of new LA batteries, the 450ah available from the big AGMs, or 500 from 100ah LiPOs should be more than enough.

From what I’ve read it makes no difference either way. And its nearly the same amount of cable either way. So I’d guess its more about supply and cost.
But with lead acid it does make a difference! Golf cart batteries use antimony as a plate additive to make the plate stronger.

The newer 12v battery may use it as well. However one reason to use 6V batteries is marketing. Many old timers know about the materials used and would look at the choice to go 12v batteries as cheapening the system. Newer technology doesn't have that stigma, so the choice is opened.

12v is used on lithium because 12 divides up well with the cell voltage. 24 is a better fit, but not practical in an existing system.

While you're comparing technology look into the cycle life of Northstar blues carbon lead technology! You may be surprised!

Latest resources

Back