Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
6.7 ISB 360/800
TOW/TOAD
2001 Jeep Wrangler
Fulltimer
No
Bought this 6’ portable scaffold set up for $220 on sale at Home Depot, regular price $300. Im 6’5” and it is barely tall enough to get to the radius portion of the roof for waxing and cleaning. But it is just high enough and beats trying to work from a step ladder or from above especially with 5 residential solar panels in the way of most of it.

There is a safety rail kit for another $200 but Im finding it unnecessary and it would probably get in the way. The wheels lock firmly and it is easy to maneuver. Also other uses like rain gutters on the house.

It will also serve as an outdoor mobile work bench. I was going to rent a scissor lift but thats over $300/day and I’ll have this as long as I want.
91D4377C-1A2F-4F3B-81D7-44C481028B88.jpeg

Nice, I like it! Just curious, did you install the panels or were they part of the rig when you bought it?

Makes the job quite a bit easier, but its still a lot of work over several days. Can’t imagine doing this on another 10’ of coach!
094C3D35-411A-40C0-91CE-2B8A906FA4A2.jpeg

Makes the job quite a bit easier, but its still a lot of work over several days. Can’t imagine doing this on another 10’ of coach!

094c3d35-411a-40c0-91ce-2b8a906fa4a2-jpeg.12508

Looking good!

Beautiful, nicely done! I used to do the same thing, now I let others do it & pay the man. Just can’t and/or don’t want to do it anymore.

Beautiful, nicely done! I used to do the same thing, now I let others do it & pay the man. Just can’t and/or don’t want to do it anymore.
Ive heard it runs about $10/foot and right now that seems well worth it. Is that about what you pay? Also do you use local labor or a specific advertised service? Next time I’ll probably sub-out the bulk of this job and just do the detail/finished work myslef.

Rich...what do you use for wax ? I've heard that $10 foot is a good (starting point) norm. Beautiful coach.

Rich...what do you use for wax ? I've heard that $10 foot is a good (starting point) norm. Beautiful coach.
After a little research I settled on Meguiar’s # 26. Its liquid but thick so it goes on easy but dries into a haze like paste wax. I bought a gallon and when Im done I‘ll know exactly how much it takes for a 35’ coach.

I started this because Newmar repaired the painted area on the radius portion of my roof and the tops of the end caps last year (no charge even though it was way out of warranty) and its time (late actually) to get some wax on it. Doing the rest of the coach because Im there and it can only help.

The 3M product in the background is for buffing out scratches in the clear coat with a variable speed buffer and proper cutting and polishing pads. Second pic is both products but you can also finish with wax. This is a skill I learned from an accomplished body shop owner and car restorer and not a method I’d recommend without some training.

Attachments

• 3CC100AD-2168-48E7-AF96-FA60E0901E44.jpeg
    3CC100AD-2168-48E7-AF96-FA60E0901E44.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 5
  • 648A439C-051F-45F8-A4A6-C33A1B3B2E8F.jpeg
    648A439C-051F-45F8-A4A6-C33A1B3B2E8F.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 5
Ive heard it runs about $10/foot and right now that seems well worth it. Is that about what you pay? Also do you use local labor or a specific advertised service? Next time I’ll probably sub-out the bulk of this job and just do the detail/finished work myslef.
We travel down to Moss Landing KOA often as we love the Monterey/Carmel area. For several years we have had a mobile guy come to the park and wash and hand wax the coach. Takes 2, sometimes 3 guys all day to do the job. In fact, we are headed there Monday to have the coach washed & waxed by the same guy. Last time it was $11/ft and totally worth every penny!

Latest resources

Back