• Commercial/Vendors welcome

MOD Just bought a Dometic CF 80 cooler

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I can attest to 4 cases to be exact with CF-80. New one is in freezer mode still with fish, so not sure what it holds.

I guess I'm confused. With most of you having residential refrigerators/freezers, why do you need an outdoor unit? Seems like it would compramise a lot of storage space. Now for me it might make sense as I've got the smaller gas/110 refer. But with these beautiful units in your coaches, seems like overkill.

Yes, all valid, the frig/freezer is sufficient especially since most CG's are within some type of food store (Walmart, etc.). However, we are lovers of EXCESS. It's great having extra frig or freezer space such as @NWIP with his Alaska catches or many with using the external as beer/wine coolers. I had to keep beer in the bottom tray of the frig, not ideal but it worked, it's not the largest of frig's. Every change such as this does force you to rethink your storage and trim down. I added shelves and this also forced me to rethink what I really need to carry with me. Do I really need 3 grills? Do I need enough tools for Bob Vila? I take advantage of each of these changes to improve. I have a telescoping ladder coming and not sure where I'm going to put it as my VIAIR compressor bag is really where it should go but where is that going to go? The constant puzzle.

I do really enjoy the Dometic cooler. I'm big into protein shakes right now with playing Pickleball every day so I have several gallons of milk in there right now among wine and beer. It's also handy to access from the patio instead of going inside. I personally need more outside time!

I will likely always have a Dometic cooler going forward, it is a great thing to have in my opinion. I'll figure out storage, the cooler is a must to me.

Our external fridge (a Norcold TEKII) came with the coach and actually still worked :cool: It is either a fridge or a freezer. So far we use it as a fridge and keep bottled water, sodas and beer in it and we restock the inside from the outside. Our inside fridge is a gas/electric dometic fridge, so it lacks room. As for room in the bay where the external fridge is, I still have a lot of room in the tray behind it - I keep a case of bottled water or two, the ViAir, the main awning sunscreen addition and also some end screens for it, the extra foldable step and also the welcome mat. Still a little room left.

More on the Dometic situation:

The cooler is portable, it has (or can have) handles so it's easy to remove and even can be powered with 12V such as a car battery with alligator clips. I removed the handles from mine as I don't intend to ever remove it but you can also remove it for storage if needed such as if going on a trip that you need space and not the cooler - it is not a permanent fixture.

From what I've noticed lately Newmar didn't remove the handles. For those with the cooler and don't want the handles in the way of things it's just an allen screw that is holding the handles on, two screws per bracket. Remove and store and you'll be happy to have the handles out of the way of other things.

Neal, can you please provide link to tray. We have talked about one for our 3407, as I want to put a tool box in that compartment but want to be able to slide it out and in, Guess should have just had Newmar put the tray in there, but, you know money! How did you attach it, what waterproofing did you use, please outline detailed procedure for us folks who need to be led around some.

I have been looking at this unit as backup for house in case we had sever outage, I have not checked dimensions to see if would fit in storage compartment as the price of the thing is huge, but the reviews have been very good. Preppers like them. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003TM2K0Y/?tag=rvf01-20

Neal, can you please provide link to tray. We have talked about one for our 3407, as I want to put a tool box in that compartment but want to be able to slide it out and in, Guess should have just had Newmar put the tray in there, but, you know money! How did you attach it, what waterproofing did you use, please outline detailed procedure for us folks who need to be led around some.

Post #12 in this thread sir.

Neal, thank you. I cannot tell from the picture does the shelf have a floor? Does it come with directions? Know stupid questions, How would I find out if this is the one which I should get for the freezer compartment in the 3407, assuming mine is smaller. Guess I could call Newmar, and I might have too anyway, have not gotten reply on 21 warranty items I want fixed. Again, great job.

The shelf bottom is a frame, no floor, and you'll likely have to build up the outer frame to get it to sit higher so it clears the basement door gasket. Some 3/4" plywood works, I think Newmar even paints there's black. No directions with it, none really needed. You can contact Newmar parts and get a quote, they wanted twice as much as what I paid for going direct and getting the cooler from Dometic (or Amazon). Newmar will often not tell you part numbers etc. to try and prevent you from circumventing them. Best to measure your area and contact Keystone and discuss with them.

In light of the current pandemic this cooler addition has been the best thing ever. If you have to evacuate for a hurricane or hunker down as you can't travel or need to avoid stores being able to stock up and load up with this is wonderful. Highly recommend!

Latest resources

Back