• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Leash law/rules are for everyone

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I carry a heavy walking stick whenever I take my dog out. I’ve used it twice on other dogs attacking mine.

Not my typical approach, but in this case I’d call Animal Control, report the incident, and request that they contact the other dog owner. Get it on record in case you incur additional vet expenses, and make it clear that this is unacceptable. You have too much invested in Ryker (time, money, heartache) to ignore this situation.

I’ve had the same experience but with a healthy, capable female GSD and fortunately she simply pinned the unleashed dog to the ground with one of her big paws. It had a mouthful of Lalka’s fur and was lucky to get off easily. The owner was the camp host and was apologetic but I still saw the dog off leash. Some people need more help getting the point.

Also sprays while effective often end up affecting the sprayer as well as the sprayee due to wind direction and other factors, and this would be especially likely in an altercation that involves an out of control dog. I like the idea of a good heavy cane or walking stick.

Lady Lalka
IMG_3894.jpeg

I suggest you allow Ryker his head. Let him defend himself, even if it kills the attacker.
I think this would have a bad ending. Animal control would seize the surviving dog and likely put it down.

My prior dog got attacked in doggy daycare at age 1, puncture wounds in the neck, nearly killed her. I'm extremely sensitive to and worried about dog attacks.

Does a campground hold any liability in a dog attack by one of its tenants? What if it was a child?

Resort rules say leashed at all times, 6 ft leash. People think the rules don't apply to their tiny dog I guess.
They come by here with these reel out leashes that go to 15 ft, run in my yard, run at Gunner when wife is walking him.
The other morning my wife says What The Hell!, I look out and some woman is letting her dog do his business right by our truck and under our sign post, 20 ft into my yard from the street. She was gone before I got out there, at least she picked it up.

Jim, First I hope Ryker will be ok, & guess only another Vet visit will give you an answer!

As for unleashed dogs, I have no patience with them, & especially their "entitled" owners!:mad:
I have no issues, in knocking the hell out of the dog, nor confronting the dang owner! I will take whatever actions necessary to protect my dog, and myself! They will be responsible for the result, not me, as they & their dog provoked the confrontation! Sort of like Florida's "Stand Your Ground Law"!

And as for the "RV" Parks, we as their "Guest's", "Renter's", or "Resident's", etc, need to let them know that their RULES need to be enforced, and the CONSEQUENCES need to be enforced as well!

I tend to over react, and may have done so, but I will not tolerate anyone threatening my family, my pet, nor myself! And that's a fact!!

As for "Ryker", I'm really hoping that there has been no real damage inflicted upon the poor ol man, and that his improvement continues!

I think this would have a bad ending. Animal control would seize the surviving dog and likely put it down.

My prior dog got attacked in doggy daycare at age 1, puncture wounds in the neck, nearly killed her. I'm extremely sensitive to and worried about dog attacks.

Does a campground hold any liability in a dog attack by one of its tenants? What if it was a child?
Usually and in the most unfortunate way, no.
I had a problem with neighborhood agressive dogs running loose. These were actual 50+ lb animals that were attacking people and dogs. They all lived in one house and were seldom contained. They were sick, mean, and a menace.
I made 4 (four) complaints that were noted and numbered. Not one thing happened to the dogs or the owner. This is in Florida.
In most states, dogs are property. It is very difficult to take someone's property even if a crime has been committed.
Long story, but the dogs are now gone.

My Boxer is always on a leash when we leave the house, she wears a vest type harness and the leash is attached to the harness, she carries it her self without any problem. I've had dogs all my life, love them all, the good, the bad and the ugly.

HALT dog repellant spray. This what postal workers carry. Also probably stop the irresponsible owner who will be upset that Fifi got a dose of repellant.

Let's pause for a moment and remember not all dogs come to you with harm, some come to show love and affection and are super friendly and social dogs, mine being one of them. She loves all people, animals, etc. So before we go setting off nucs to rid animals in our surroundings, observe and beware as well. Sometimes they get loose by accident and not completely from neglect of rules. Maybe one runs out an open door, maybe one breaks free of a leash, etc. etc.

If a dog comes up wagging it's tail I consider him friendly. If the dog charges at me he could end up cat feed. 🐈

Latest resources

Back