Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins / I6 Diesel Pusher 600HP / 1,950 ft-lbs
TOW/TOAD
2016 Jeep Rubicon
Fulltimer
No
As of today, I have adopted a -0- tolerance policy toward dogs that are not leashed at the parks we visit. Ryker has been attacked 4 times over the last 2 years, all at campgrounds that we’re staying at, and all from dogs belonging to people who feel the “Dogs must be on a leash” rule doesn’t apply to them.

Three of these times the attacker has been a small dog, and had I not controlled Ryker, he could have seriously hurt the animal. The attacker generally ends up hanging off the fur around Ryker’s neck, which doesn’t hurt Ryker but as can be expected, makes him quite anxious.

There is always a lot of growling, barking and chaos involved as the attacker’s owners run around in circles, trying to catch their dog amid total pandemonium.

Yesterday, I was on walk 2 of our vet prescribed 6-daily low impact rehab walks. I had just left our coach and was walking around the back of my neighbors 5th wheel when their pug made a run straight at Ryker. I grabbed Ryker up and the Pug bit him full-on in his damaged leg. Pug released and then made another run which ended up with him hanging off Ryker’s neck. Once the drama was over, the Pug owner and I discussed the situation, but at the end of the day, what can I do? It was an accident that could have been prevented, but still, it’s just an accident. And even if he was in a financial position to reimburse me for any damage, it would be a stretch to think that he would have done it.

The next day, Ryker showed signs of limping, and today he’s holding his rehabbed leg in the air and hobbling around. Almost 3 months of rehabbing, 3 40-minute commutes each week to do aquatred and shockwave therapy, two stem cell injections at $5K apiece and a gazillion hours of travel time, just to have some ill behaved animal set us back who knows how far.

And somewhere down the line, the Pug owners will be sitting around their campfire swapping stories and laughing about how their little Pug showed incredible bravery when he attacked a big ol’ German Shepherd. All in blissful ignorance of the damage that they may have caused.

So, from today on, I will take a walking stick while Ryker and I are out rehabbing. And if we are attacked again, I will send the offender into a world that he will certainly not enjoy. Leash rules are for everyone. If you’re one of those who doesn’t understand that, perhaps I will be the person to educate you.

As I was reading this I was thinking a walking stick. Best choice.

That has happened to us more than I like to count. My dog is a rescue from a dog fighting ring where he was a bait dog so naturally he has a lot of fear issues when he gets around other dogs so we keep him away from other dogs unless they have had social activity together at a dog park etc. He is small so I can pick him up thankfully but I would not think twice about reporting the irresponsible owner to either the park or animal control. Typically there is an city/county ordinance against unleashed dogs so animal control will ticket them with a fine. I would not think twice about it. I don't consider it an accident but egregious animal control. Poor Ryker, I hope he is okay.

Who is the "offender" that the walking stick is used on? The dog or the irresponsible handler?
I like the idea of the bear spray.
When we are out hiking with our dogs on trails that are clearly marked, "dogs must be on leash", it is a very rare occurrence to actually see dogs on leash and when we come across other hikers with unleashed dogs, we have our dogs go on the opposite side of us, then they are scrambling to get control of their dog and get it on leash.
There needs to be some high profile legal cases, where dog owners are held responsible for what their dogs do, especially when the owners are being irresponsible and ignoring the leash laws/regulations/rules.
Sorry to hear about Ryker, hope he can recover quickly.

Wholeheartedly agree @Jim, I’ve been on the wrong end of this far too many times. Same in dog parks. Day 1 at Hilton Head Elli got attacked in the dog park. Incompetent owner knew their dog was aggressive as we approached the dog park. I’m sorry but if you learn your dog can fly don’t blame me.

Zero tolerance for dogs not leashed and not far behind that not picking up after your dog.

I hope Rykers situation is temporary and he feels better soon.

If the rules don't apply to you because you are the one who makes the rules, then you can do anything. The park owner & her family let their psycho dogs run loose. The Chihuahua has bitten at least 5 people that I know of, including my daughter. NO one picks up after their dog except two other sites. If anyone says anything, the drunken husband and son say "If you don't like it, then leave." the problem with leaving is that all the semi-decent parks are booked up and the wait list is... long. We are hoping that one of my daughter's co-workers will put in a few RV sites on his place. Luckily, I have a 42" high fence on my site. But I no longer walk the dog. I no longer take the dog to the little dog park. I actually no longer go outside if the owner's husband and son are out. The door stays locked except when the dog is out in her little fenced yard. I hope we can move soon.

And then there is the "school teacher" who moved in with 2 dogs that magically turned into 5 dogs. They stay outside 24/7. They HOWL when the "teacher" goes to work (what teacher goes to work at 5AM). They howl several times per day and night. Now all the dogs (except 2) howl and bark all the time. Two of us refuse to allow our dogs to behave like that. My dog has gotten to the point where she just wants to leave the park all the time. I understand how she feels. Between the screaming renters and the screaming dogs, my dog can't get her needed 20 hours of sleep.

The idiot owners have never lived in an RV park. They bought without an inspection (most of us TOLD them before they bought that the electric needed upgrading but burning up two water pumps is all on them along with failing the Health Dept water test multiple times). I think they are loosing money. The more money they lose, the worse it gets. And how do you run business without a business checking account? They bought this place June 2022. Not my circus, not my monkeys and not my clowns. I really hope we can leave soon.

As of today, I have adopted a -0- tolerance policy toward dogs that are not leashed at the parks we visit. Ryker has been attacked 4 times over the last 2 years, all at campgrounds that we’re staying at, and all from dogs belonging to people who feel the “Dogs must be on a leash” rule doesn’t apply to them.

Three of these times the attacker has been a small dog, and had I not controlled Ryker, he could have seriously hurt the animal. The attacker generally ends up hanging off the fur around Ryker’s neck, which doesn’t hurt Ryker but as can be expected, makes him quite anxious.

There is always a lot of growling, barking and chaos involved as the attacker’s owners run around in circles, trying to catch their dog amid total pandemonium.

Yesterday, I was on walk 2 of our vet prescribed 6-daily low impact rehab walks. I had just left our coach and was walking around the back of my neighbors 5th wheel when their pug made a run straight at Ryker. I grabbed Ryker up and the Pug bit him full-on in his damaged leg. Pug released and then made another run which ended up with him hanging off Ryker’s neck. Once the drama was over, the Pug owner and I discussed the situation, but at the end of the day, what can I do? It was an accident that could have been prevented, but still, it’s just an accident. And even if he was in a financial position to reimburse me for any damage, it would be a stretch to think that he would have done it.

The next day, Ryker showed signs of limping, and today he’s holding his rehabbed leg in the air and hobbling around. Almost 3 months of rehabbing, 3 40-minute commutes each week to do aquatred and shockwave therapy, two stem cell injections at $5K apiece and a gazillion hours of travel time, just to have some ill behaved animal set us back who knows how far.

And somewhere down the line, the Pug owners will be sitting around their campfire swapping stories and laughing about how their little Pug showed incredible bravery when he attacked a big ol’ German Shepherd. All in blissful ignorance of the damage that they may have caused.

So, from today on, I will take a walking stick while Ryker and I are out rehabbing. And if we are attacked again, I will send the offender into a world that he will certainly not enjoy. Leash rules are for everyone. If you’re one of those who doesn’t understand that, perhaps I will be the person to educate you.

Our last dog, Mimi (elderly Miniature Poodle) was attacked unprovoked. The offending dog had a history of attacking small dogs (the owner's wife let that statement slip). We stopped by the State Park office on our way to the emergency vet clinic to let Mr Ranger know of the event. We were assured that the owners would be asked to leave the park. That did not happen, They were just moved to a distant section. The offenders did pay the vet costs as well as for my wife's tetanus shot and stitches that she required saving our dog. We would rather they would have been evicted though. We expressed our discontent but the park just shrugged it off.

We really worry about our new puppy (another miniature poodle) as she is a social butterfly. Every dog, person and even deer, as far as she is concerned, is a playmate. So far, we have encountered a few unleashed dogs and fortunately they have not been aggressive but we hold her close when that happens. We do now carry walking sticks. 06 04 February 03 2023Poor Mimi.jpg

Darrell

I suggest you allow Ryker his head. Let him defend himself, even if it kills the attacker. There is absolutely no reason for uncivilized bipeds to allow their curs to run unfettered in a setting such as an RV park, and they need to learn the lesson in the hard way. As long as the rest of us civilized folk let them get away with it, without consequences, they'll keep doing it.

Yes, I know....take the high road. You've BEEN taking the high road. I digress.......carry the bear spray and spray the attacker. And if the owner wants to make bones about it, spray them, too.

Roger.....who touched the stove after Mom told him not to.

Latest resources

Back