• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Leash law/rules are for everyone

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
My Boxer is always on a leash when we leave the house, she wears a vest type harness and the leash is attached to the harness, she carries it her self without any problem. I've had dogs all my life, love them all, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Isn’t letting the dog carry its own lease the same as not being on a leash at all. I’m a dog lover and have multiple 180lb Great Danes. They all were terrific and loved other dogs and kids but I still am never complacent when away from home regarding leashing and distance.

For me, I will carry a 1 inch thick hickory, and the owner can come and pick up their pet.
I hope you file a lawsuit against the owner.

Just an FYI: I did buy this but I haven't used it yet. My reason for this was that it would attract attention. On the rare occasion that I do walk in the park, which I haven't since the last time the park owner's dog charged me & my dog and the drunken husband charged me until he saw my friendly neighbour who walks with a pistol strapped on watching... sometimes a witness or two is helpful. I figure it should be loud enough that maybe people will look outside and probably deafen anyone nearby. www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07PNJJ6KV/

As of today, I have adopted a -0- tolerance policy toward dogs that are not leashed at the parks we visit. Ryker has been attacked 4 times over the last 2 years, all at campgrounds that we’re staying at, and all from dogs belonging to people who feel the “Dogs must be on a leash” rule doesn’t apply to them.

Three of these times the attacker has been a small dog, and had I not controlled Ryker, he could have seriously hurt the animal. The attacker generally ends up hanging off the fur around Ryker’s neck, which doesn’t hurt Ryker but as can be expected, makes him quite anxious.

There is always a lot of growling, barking and chaos involved as the attacker’s owners run around in circles, trying to catch their dog amid total pandemonium.

Yesterday, I was on walk 2 of our vet prescribed 6-daily low impact rehab walks. I had just left our coach and was walking around the back of my neighbors 5th wheel when their pug made a run straight at Ryker. I grabbed Ryker up and the Pug bit him full-on in his damaged leg. Pug released and then made another run which ended up with him hanging off Ryker’s neck. Once the drama was over, the Pug owner and I discussed the situation, but at the end of the day, what can I do? It was an accident that could have been prevented, but still, it’s just an accident. And even if he was in a financial position to reimburse me for any damage, it would be a stretch to think that he would have done it.

The next day, Ryker showed signs of limping, and today he’s holding his rehabbed leg in the air and hobbling around. Almost 3 months of rehabbing, 3 40-minute commutes each week to do aquatred and shockwave therapy, two stem cell injections at $5K apiece and a gazillion hours of travel time, just to have some ill behaved animal set us back who knows how far.

And somewhere down the line, the Pug owners will be sitting around their campfire swapping stories and laughing about how their little Pug showed incredible bravery when he attacked a big ol’ German Shepherd. All in blissful ignorance of the damage that they may have caused.

So, from today on, I will take a walking stick while Ryker and I are out rehabbing. And if we are attacked again, I will send the offender into a world that he will certainly not enjoy. Leash rules are for everyone. If you’re one of those who doesn’t understand that, perhaps I will be the person to educate you.
Sadly this occurrs everywhere. Where we live, so many folks are out walking with their dogs. I must say that they are leashed, but sometimes folks have trouble controlling their dogs, or are not paying attention. We carry pepper spray. Judy D.

Jim, I am so sorry to hear this about Ryker. I know you and Trish have been through a lot with his initial injury. Irma has been attacked at several parks by pit bulls and once by a St. Bernard. I was ready to start carrying my gun with me on our walks, but reason prevailed and I realized that would start a real problem for me if I ended up shooting a dog. We now carry pepper spray whenever we are in a questionable situation.

I visited the “Free Table” in the park last night, picked up a couple kitchen items and bird feeders, dropped off some good stuff from my shed, and also picked up a new old putter. I was practicing with it this morning and thought of Ryker. So todays inspiration: carry a golf club - maybe a 3 iron for length. Give Ryker a little scratch behind his ears and tell him Rich says Hi!

Angus and Lalka - both departed but will never be forgotten:

IMG_1979.jpeg
image.png

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpeg
    IMG_1936.jpeg
    946.5 KB · Views: 3
Well, my Boxer is on a leash, I get on the leash when we get around people or anything that might interest her or she might interest it. Now, she and I are both on the leash when we have our afternoon beer at the bar patio, or in public places.

I'm thinking some folks might say they were attacked by a dog after it barked at them and charged, while that might be scary for some, I don't call it an attack until the dog makes contact trying to bite or bites, then, that's an attack and if not provoked, few dogs will go there.

Bought a house and was moving in when a large Pitt was having a fit next door. I walked over to the fence and talked to him, by the time the owner came out I was petting the dog over the fence and the neighbor called me the dog whisperer saying no one outside his family had ever touched the dog. No, I'm not the dog whisperer, but I understand them and we get along.

As someone mentioned, they didn't use a walking stick since that might get them in trouble, I'd say that's a real good call.

Let's pause for a moment and remember not all dogs come to you with harm, some come to show love and affection and are super friendly and social dogs, mine being one of them. She loves all people, animals, etc. So before we go setting off nucs to rid animals in our surroundings, observe and beware as well. Sometimes they get loose by accident and not completely from neglect of rules. Maybe one runs out an open door, maybe one breaks free of a leash, etc. etc.
Good point as I'd be inclined to get rid of the real problem, and it's usually not the dog.

I'm thinking some folks might say they were attacked by a dog after it barked at them and charged, while that might be scary for some, I don't call it an attack until the dog makes contact trying to bite or bites, then, that's an attack and if not provoked, few dogs will go there.
When my wife lived in a condo, she was holding her dog on a short leash while fumbling for her keys to get into her building. There was another lady standing there who suddenly screamed. My wife was all concerned that her dog had bitten this lady - not that he had ever done anything like that before but what else would there be to scream about in that situation - but her response was "I just don't like dogs".

Thank you, everyone for the kind messages of support. Ryker limped a bit for a few days, but today he seems much, much better. We are hoping for the best, but these are touchy times, and it won't take much to trash a whole lot of work. I can assure you, we are very vigilant when we go for our rehab walks!

Well, my Boxer is on a leash, I get on the leash when we get around people or anything that might interest her or she might interest it. Now, she and I are both on the leash when we have our afternoon beer at the bar patio, or in public places.

On a lease means "on a leash". Doesn't matter if your dog is the best behaved animal in the park. Nobody else knows that. If you're dog isn't on a leash, then others feel their dogs don't need to be on a leash. Rules are rules and the adherence to the rules is not open for each visitor to interpret.

In my case, just having a dog "charge" is enough to put Ryker into fight mode. Which means he will start lunging on his leash and his front legs will be soundly landing on the ground. And that pounding is what we are trying so hard to avoid.

My 3-months of working on getting his leg back to normal trumps your right to interpret the rules to your liking.

Give Ryker a little scratch behind his ears and tell him Rich says Hi!
Oh, lots of scratches these days. He's a mess. Generally a very active dog and now he's been confined to a 12'X45' rectangle, and he's starting to get depressed. We do what we can to keep him "simi occupied" but it just not the same as a long-throw freebie catch!

For me, I will carry a 1 inch thick hickory, and the owner can come and pick up their pet.
I hope you file a lawsuit against the owner.
I now carry a piece of tree limb that I was able to find here at the park. I'll update the quality of my "walking stick" when I get back to NC, which should be in about a week. Until then, this will have to suffice.

My Boxer is always on a leash when we leave the house, she wears a vest type harness and the leash is attached to the harness, she carries it her self without any problem. I've had dogs all my life, love them all, the good, the bad and the ugly.
Is this not in effect, an unleashed dog?

I suggest you allow Ryker his head. Let him defend himself, even if it kills the attacker. There is absolutely no reason for uncivilized bipeds to allow their curs to run unfettered in a setting such as an RV park, and they need to learn the lesson in the hard way. As long as the rest of us civilized folk let them get away with it, without consequences, they'll keep doing it.
I think that will become my given choice in the future, but for now, Ryker has several months of rehab ahead of him, and keeping the stress of a high impact jolt is paramount. The ligaments are only a few months old, and they have to support a 7 year old dog, so right now it's imperative that we keep the stress to a minimum.

Latest resources

Back