• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Locking your door while traveling.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Living in the small town in North Georgia that we do I guess we have been spoiled. We don't even lock our doors of our house, much less the RV or cars and trucks we drive. I couldn't tell you where the key to our house is. I've lived here 25 years and don't think I've ever used it. I have insurance for when I'm gone and lots of guns and ammo for when I'm here. Same goes for the RV.

Actually we did lock the house one time about 15 years ago. We went to St. Croix on vacation and was going to be gone a couple weeks so we locked the house. Our neighbors teenage son was friends with our daughter and was at our house while we were packing so he knew we were going out of town. He decided to break in while we were gone. The little butt head used a long screw driver to pry open the front door after digging at it for a long time he got in. So, locking the door was a waste of time and even worse he screwed up our wooden door so badly that I had to buy a new one. Cost me $500. This expense could have been eliminated if I'd have just left the stupid thing unlocked. Locks really only deter the honest people. The thieves will find a way in regardless and usually do a lot more damage than if the doors were unlocked.
Why didn’t it cost the neighbor kid $500?

Why didn’t it cost the neighbor kid $500?
He stole $500 cash my wife had gotten for a Christmas bonus from the Doctor she worked for. He was seen handing out $100 bills to his "friends" at school. He was desperately trying to buy some friends. He also butchered up the front door which cost $500 to replace. He also stole a 38 revolver which was never recovered. The police and the County Prosecutor asked me to limit the claim to $500 because otherwise it would really jump up the jail time and seriousness of the charge. I decided to be a nice guy and give the dumb ass a chance. His parents paid for the new front door. We ate the loss of the $500 cash and the revolver. They moved away immediatly afterward. :rolleyes:

He stole $500 cash my wife had gotten for a Christmas bonus from the Doctor she worked for. He was seen handing out $100 bills to his "friends" at school. He was desperately trying to buy some friends. He also butchered up the front door which cost $500 to replace. He also stole a 38 revolver which was never recovered. The police and the County Prosecutor asked me to limit the claim to $500 because otherwise it would really jump up the jail time and seriousness of the charge. I decided to be a nice guy and give the dumb ass a chance. His parents paid for the new front door. We ate the loss of the $500 cash and the revolver. They moved away s the immediatly afterward. :rolleyes:
You’re the nice guy. If it was me, the kid would have had to get the $’s back from the other kids and returned it, replaced the revolver, done a public admission and apology and served 100-250 hours community service while on probation before the record was expunged.

Latest resources

Back