• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Locking your door while traveling.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Sorry to here about your break in. We have been pretty fortunate over the years. Most of our locations were in areas of low crime like AF Bases and surrounding areas. Other times we lived in not so populated areas and neighbors are always keeping a close eye out for each other. We live so far back in the woods of our property many do not travel because there is only one escape route. The only thing we lock is the house which has a safe for important stuff, The rest is open including the motorhome with the keys in it.

As far as the door on the motorhome, we never had an issue of doors opening during travel, but even if it did it would not be an issue as the door is several feet behind us. We don't have doors up front so that is why we want a quick egress if we need it. Plus our lock is not so fancy. We have a handle and 2 latches that go in different directions and we have been through the process of turning one then the other then the first one you turned is now locked so you have to go back to it. Better for us to leave it unlocked during travel.

We lock our deadbolt while traveling for the same reason as @Buly. I also lock the bay doors - was driving one day and saw something in the mirror out of the corner of my eye. One of my gull-wing doors rose up the side (opened). Since that day I always lock them on drive day. Unfortunately I forget to unlock them when we arrive at the destination and have to go back in the coach to unlock them. :rolleyes:

I keep my coach door locked during travel along with my lower storage bays. To be honest, after seeing a couple videos that circulated earlier this year (peaceful protesters climbing on top of RVs stuck in traffic) I was investigating modifications to make my rear roof ladder removable.

But like someone said, everyone should do what makes them comfortable in these changing times.

This is a tough one. We keep our door unlocked when the coach is moving. Being a former Paramedic I tore a lot of doors/windows up trying to get inside to assist. Minutes often effect the outcome of an emergency. If I'm in a questionable area of town I may lock the door but I don't do it very often.

In our Ventana LE the steps can be raised so the floor is flat all the way to the door. It would take an intruder a couple extra seconds to figure out how to get in. Hopefully that would give me extra time to pull out the S&W.

I lock the deadbolt when traveling, had my door pop open a couple times when I didn't. Not so much when parked though, mostly leave everything unlocked.

Living in the small town in North Georgia that we do I guess we have been spoiled. We don't even lock our doors of our house, much less the RV or cars and trucks we drive. I couldn't tell you where the key to our house is. I've lived here 25 years and don't think I've ever used it. I have insurance for when I'm gone and lots of guns and ammo for when I'm here. Same goes for the RV.

Actually we did lock the house one time about 15 years ago. We went to St. Croix on vacation and was going to be gone a couple weeks so we locked the house. Our neighbors teenage son was friends with our daughter and was at our house while we were packing so he knew we were going out of town. He decided to break in while we were gone. The little butt head used a long screw driver to pry open the front door after digging at it for a long time he got in. So, locking the door was a waste of time and even worse he screwed up our wooden door so badly that I had to buy a new one. Cost me $500. This expense could have been eliminated if I'd have just left the stupid thing unlocked. Locks really only deter the honest people. The thieves will find a way in regardless and usually do a lot more damage than if the doors were unlocked.

Last edited:
That is the first thing I do upon departure, is activate the air lock. Especially it is locked pulling into a truck stop.
When we had production coaches, they would flex so bad the door actually opened.

We travel with the basement doors locked. The entry door is locked but not deadbolted. We do this for peace of mind.

In another thread someone mentioned using the deadbolt on their door during travel. My question is how many people do this and why? This is just a general question.

I personally don’t use a deadbolt while traveling. The reasons are: 1. In case of an emergency, emergency crews would have easy entry into the motor home. 2. If we needed to get out quick we would not have to fumble with several latch’s to get out.

what are your thoughts?
We have 2 issues here.... security snd safety. For security we always secure the deadbolt. For safety, besides the deadbolt, our Rockwood Mini Lite also has a hand rail that folds over the door to ensure that it stays closed. Nice feature.

I started locking the dead bolt to make sure the door latch has latched in all the way. Twice the door popped open to the first step of the latch while driving. The dead bolt makes sure the door will not pop open while on the highway. That’s my story.

Latest resources

Back