• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Luxury RV Retreat

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I managed a major chain campground for a few years. I found what campers really want is adequate electricity, space to breath between sites, swimming amenities and activities. The more amenities we added and the higher the price went, the more needy one time visitors we got. When I first started, we were a quiet family oriented, friendly group with many repeat visitors. Activities had entertainment for all ages. As we started catering to the needed crowd, we noticed more problems with abused facilities and less respect for property.Just my observations.

I managed a major chain campground for a few years. I found what campers really want is adequate electricity, space to breath between sites, swimming amenities and activities. The more amenities we added and the higher the price went, the more needy one time visitors we got. When I first started, we were a quiet family oriented, friendly group with many repeat visitors. Activities had entertainment for all ages. As we started catering to the needed crowd, we noticed more problems with abused facilities and less respect for property.Just my observations.
I am sure some here understand needed, needy. But you went way over my head. What do you mean by needy and needed?

People that lack basic common sense and need you to hold their hand every step of the way. We had a week's rain once and a couple of needy campers in higher end sites wanted me to send someone over to squeegee the grass around their fire rings so that it could dry quicker. And there were glampers whose bored teens flushed sweat socks and clogged the plumbing.. The ones that hook up to septic and leave their valves open without enough liquid and clog their own plumbing with toilet paper and wanted us to fix their camper. The list goes on. Seasoned campers and families are much more considerate, return if you are fair priced,and tell their friends. The needier the camper the more they trash you in the reviews as well. Eventually you price yourselves out of the market to maintain elite status.

OK, we are on the same page. clientele is very important to look at in any business model. When I looked at your post I thought needed=more revenue. Needy as you described.

Maybe you should look at what Jim is going to offer, and his pricing model. When he opens he may have to seek cover as his customers shoot it out to get in.

With that said there are not enough RV parks in general. Luxury is not as important to a lot of those looking for a place, as a reasonable price. If it's about the money, I think you may starve.
Kevin, who is the “Jim” you are referring to above? Thanks, DY

Indeed. Way above my pay grade. I look for all the discounts I can get. As for amenities? Level gravel or concrete site, ultra clean bathrooms, good wi-fi and cellular (in the area), preferably cable, propane available, fire pit, and a nicely stocked camp store. Anything above that is optional. I camp too many nights for luxury.

I don't mind spending $150/night IF I'm overlooking the ocean with beach access or some incredible mountain/lake view, but not to drive to the middle of nowhere. You lost me when stating that it was an hour of access roads to get to the "Resort." That speaks to me of rough, dirt and muddy roads and maybe low hanging trees to boot. Additionally, I don't want to be so far away that I can't get supplies or a good meal out. The continental breakfast and dinner buffets do not speak to me of luxury, but of small motel/hotel offerings.

Having said that I do enjoy serenity and walking paths, but I like to be active....Yup I'm going there.... pickleball. Who builds a luxury resort without pickleball courts. ? Of course that may interfere with the retreat atmosphere. It seems to me if you want to go the Retreat Route then go full steam, with trainers, massage therapists, yoga and tai chi instructors, meditation room, restaurants with clean, organic food. I might pay and drive to such a Retreat and stay for a week or two to reboot my system, but I don't think that would be a very profitable undertaking. Additionally, I haven't met any RVers in the 4 years I've been on the road that would go for such a thing.?

Please keep us up to date with your plans. Best wishes and good luck as you continue your research.

Renee

I would/could spend $150+ per night, but not in such a remote location, as that of which you speak! I agree with "ARD", for that money, it should be incredible views, access, etc. !
One would think you would receive a greater "ROI", by providing amenities, and atmosphere, trails etc.
There is a need for new "RV" parks around the country, & seems like especially East of the Mississippi.
Good Luck, & keep us posted!(y)

Latest resources

Back