Chassis
Ford F-53, 26,000GVWR
Engine
Ford V-10
TOW/TOAD
2017 Gmc Terrain & 2017 Chevrolet Colorado ZR-2
Fulltimer
No
Ok guys/gals.....with all the ingenuity, talent, & experience in this group; here's a problem that I need help solving, or being solved!

Background: I previously owned an '04 Mountain Aire; which had the extended arm mirrors which most everyone has on their coach. They are easy to view, with just a glance to either side, without really taking ones eyes completely off the road.

Problem: I just took delivery of a 2020 Canyon Star 3710. The mirrors on this coach are fixed mounts to each side. Being so mounted, requires one to have to rotate ones' head left or right to actually view the mirror; thus taking ones eyes off the road momentarily. This became apparent to me immediately during the test drive. It was a bit unnerving, but as I drove it, became more used to it, though I still don't care for it. To me, this is a SAFETY ISSUE!
So, I am looking for a way to correct this situation.

Research: First, Ramco does have a mirror kit for Dutch Star, which will work, plug n play, electrically, but there is a difference in the mounting brackets. Got schematics from them on both, and there is a different dimension of the bolt mounting holes. Even though the outside measurement of both brackets are identical.
Second, Newmar Engineering does not want to undertake any research because they have never had such an inquiry.
Third, I believe, but have not confirmed that there is a reinforcement of some type on the interior of the wall to accommodate the load distribution on the sidewall.

Solution: Need your help...ideas...suggestions!

Thanks

Attachments

• 20191205_143201[1].jpg
    20191205_143201[1].jpg
    987.1 KB · Views: 22
  • 20191205_142723[1].jpg
    20191205_142723[1].jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22
My VTDP has mirrors "aft of the pillar" and I'm fine with it. It's important to have the mirror angled properly (the entire frame) and then adjust the mirrors within. If you look at your car for example, it's the same way and you'll adjust to it. You have to have a deliberate cross check, for me it's mirrors and camera. I've spent great attention to detail to aim the mirrors (top and bottom) until I feel they are right for me. I'd be patient before changing this, just my $.02. Your safety is what works best for you so keep this as only my opinion and what I'm comfortable with for me. No one can talk you into safety.

My current coach has the same set up...once set up properly, as @Neal detailed, it’s not a problem. It’s just like a car. I’m sure I will have to adjust to my New Aire mirror location when I get it.

Wait until your passenger puts a Big Gulp in the cup holder. Completely blocks the mirror. :)

My VTDP has mirrors "aft of the pillar" and I'm fine with it. It's important to have the mirror angled properly (the entire frame) and then adjust the mirrors within. If you look at your car for example, it's the same way and you'll adjust to it. You have to have a deliberate cross check, for me it's mirrors and camera. I've spent great attention to detail to aim the mirrors (top and bottom) until I feel they are right for me. I'd be patient before changing this, just my $.02. Your safety is what works best for you so keep this as only my opinion and what I'm comfortable with for me. No one can talk you into safety.

Neal, I agree about mirror adjustment, and am very cautious regards settings/location. Reality is that these mirrors are no different than the mirrors on the Colorado/Terrain.
But, after getting used to the mirrors on the Mountain Aire being "forward" of the windshield; creating for me, a much easier, less stressful means of monitoring the mirrors. And I may monitor what's going on behind me more than most; but I want to be very aware of approaching traffic from the rear, especially 18 wheeler's.
I'll probably just adjust to the new mirrors, because the more research I do about it, the more $$$$ signs appear.
Reinforcement, fiberglass work , paint work, & mirror cost is rapidly sending this project north of $3,000.

As an additional thought, if I can get the proper bolt patterns from Ramco, I've thought about making an adapter which bolts to the existing mirror mount location, but with mounting holes to accommodate mounting the Dutch Star mirror mounts. This would extend the mirror mount about 3-4", and I could get the "adapter" painted to match, and not disturb the existing paint! Something for me to toy with. As this adapter would be bigger than the existing mount & distribute the load of the heavier mirrors over a larger area!
What do you think? Might work pretty good...Huh?:unsure:

Wait until your passenger puts a Big Gulp in the cup holder. Completely blocks the mirror. :)

:LOL:, Joe she already knows better! A lesson learned between Indiana & West Virginia!(y)

My current coach has the same set up...once set up properly, as @Neal detailed, it’s not a problem. It’s just like a car. I’m sure I will have to adjust to my New Aire mirror location when I get it.

It's just that for me, the other mirrors really "spoiled" me! But couldn't justify another $500,000 for mirrors!:D Just being silly, as a new Mountain Aire would be a wonderful coach to own.
But I'm wondering if your idea of the 35' New Aire may be the best way to go!

But, after getting used to the mirrors on the Mountain Aire being "forward" of the windshield; creating for me, a much easier, less stressful means of monitoring the mirrors.

It's what you're used to. When I test drove the 2019 Essex it was very difficult for me to adjust to the mirrors being forward. It was not where my habit pattern was to look for mirrors.

It's what you're used to. When I test drove the 2019 Essex it was very difficult for me to adjust to the mirrors being forward. It was not where my habit pattern was to look for mirrors.
That’s probably the only reason you didn’t buy the Essex.

This discussion begs the question why not upgrade to a camera based side mirror setup when approved by DOT. Almost all these issues can be addressed. Mirror led screens can be placed anywhere the driver feels is convenient. A pillar, on the dashboard, lined up on top of dash where a Heads up display might be mounted.

I installed a heads up display in the VW and will opt for this option on any vehicle that offers this option. Another great invention. Keeps my eyes on the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest resources

Back