• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Move to Lithium

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
As an addendum to this thread, I thought I would add some "in progress" pictures and the steps I took along the way. I probably should have posted back on post #27, but better late than never.

First step was to power everything down, disconnect and remove batteries. Good riddance to these rust creating beasts...
IMG_5110.JPG
IMG_5111.JPG

Next I removed the tray which is actually only held in with two bolts in the bottom. Gravity does much of the work. It needed some cleanup and scraping of rust. I did coat some of it with paint afterward.

IMG_5112.JPG

Next step was the installation of insulation. I used standard 1 inch foam insulation with foil on one side (facing out). I ran the insulation up as high as I could and used foil tape to seal up the compartment.
IMG_5122.JPG

I then overlaid the insulation with plywood which I had painted previously so I would be completely dry for installation. I used screws to attach to the metal sheeting behind and below, but it is mostly held in place by the corner brackets used throughout.
IMG_5124.JPG

Once the plywood was in, I had to get all the wiring back in place. This included moving the solar controller from the basement to this compartment. I did this for ease of access. This is where I also added the vent in the back. I may add fans some day, but I have not as of yet.
IMG_5129.JPG

I also added busbars to simplify the wiring and make the power flow as efficient as possible,
IMG_5890.JPG
IMG_5891.JPG

Then the batteries went in.
First with the back row. I added a strip of foam to keep the front and back sets from getting to close together (not visible in this picture).
IMG_5130.JPG

After all 8 were installed, I added L brackets to hold them in place with strips of foam insulation as a buffer. I also added 2 straps that go over the top of each sets of batteries to keep them in place.
IMG_5132.JPG

I hope this helps anyone who is looking to do this themselves. It was not hard, but was a lot of time and effort.
Let me know if I missed something or if there any questions.

Rich

Last edited:
Beautiful job, beautiful.

Although I have never done a lithium conversion, I did upgrade my previous coach setup to 6 large 430 amp batteries. My thought process was the less resistance, the better, so I used 2 gauge wiring. Might have been overkill, but it made me feel better.
Did you really use 2 gauge? Or was it 2/0 gauge?

Did you really use 2 gauge? Or was it 2/0 gauge?
I'm sorry CB, but it's been a couple of years ago and to be honest, I don't think I know the difference. But I went to Lowe's and had the fellow sell me X# of feet of 2 gauge wire. I can tell you that it was about the same diameter as my little finger. Pretty robust stuff.

Probably 2/0 then…. :)

You can never go to heavy…

As an addendum to this thread, I thought I would add some "in progress" pictures and the steps I took along the way. I probably should have posted back on post #27, but better late than never.

First step was to power everything down, disconnect and remove batteries. Good riddance to these rust creating beasts...
View attachment 15013
View attachment 15014

Next I removed the tray which is actually only held in with two bolts in the bottom. Gravity does much of the work. It needed some cleanup and scraping of rust. I did coat some of it with paint afterward.

View attachment 15015

Next step was the installation of insulation. I used standard 1 inch foam insulation with foil on one side (facing out). I ran the insulation up as high as I could and used foil tape to seal up the compartment.
View attachment 15028

I then overlaid the insulation with plywood which I had painted previously so I would be completely dry for installation. I used screws to attach to the metal sheeting behind and below, but it is mostly held in place by the corner brackets used throughout.View attachment 15019

Once the plywood was in, I had to get all the wiring back in place. This included moving the solar controller from the basement to this compartment. I did this for ease of access. This is where I also added the vent in the back. I may add fans some day, but I have not as of yet.
View attachment 15021

I also added busbars to simplify the wiring and make the power flow as efficient as possible,
View attachment 15024View attachment 15027

Then the batteries went in.
First with the back row. I added a strip of foam to keep the front and back sets from getting to close together (not visible in this picture).View attachment 15025

After all 8 were installed, I added L brackets to hold them in place with strips of foam insulation as a buffer. I also added 2 straps that go over the top of each sets of batteries to keep them in place.View attachment 15026

I hope this helps anyone who is looking to do this themselves. It was not hard, but was a lot of time and effort.
Let me know if I missed something or if there any questions.

Rich
Wowzers Rich! That is so far over the top it should be in a magazine!

:)

Thanks! You are making me blush…

Latest resources

Back