• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Move to Lithium

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Ok. So what gauge wires from the batteries to the bus bar? I think 4/0 is probably overkill. Maybe 3/0?

Ok. So what gauge wires from the batteries to the bus bar? I think 4/0 is probably overkill. Maybe 3/0?
What power draw do you plan on? 3/0 is probably the right answer, but it may be 2/0

Although I have never done a lithium conversion, I did upgrade my previous coach setup to 6 large 430 amp batteries. My thought process was the less resistance, the better, so I used 2 gauge wiring. Might have been overkill, but it made me feel better.

Not to hi-jack Richpatty's original question but there seem to be some brain power here. I have room to add a 3rd chassis battery and I got the idea watching a video on a Prevost that had 3. My thought process is, with the hydraulic full wall slide the pulls tones of amps when operated this might be a good addition. So my question is, would the drawing attached be the proper way to do that. The red lines would be the added battery and the black the existing batteries. The Freightliner design of the cables looks to be a pseudo buss bar design so is adding the 3rd battery in the middle the proper way to to that? Thanks for any help.

Attachments

• 3rd Battery.jpg
    3rd Battery.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 24
Not sure….have not heard of folks doing that, it I dont see why it wouldn't work…. And I don’t see how it could hurt anything either. As long as all three batteries were approximately the same age and the same rating.

My 2 cents…

Not to hi-jack Richpatty's original question but there seem to be some brain power here. I have room to add a 3rd chassis battery and I got the idea watching a video on a Prevost that had 3. My thought process is, with the hydraulic full wall slide the pulls tones of amps when operated this might be a good addition. So my question is, would the drawing attached be the proper way to do that. The red lines would be the added battery and the black the existing batteries. The Freightliner design of the cables looks to be a pseudo buss bar design so is adding the 3rd battery in the middle the proper way to to that? Thanks for any help.
Yes--and to tie it back into the original question and topic, you too are using a BUS BAR in the diagram. This would evenly spread the load.

Now -- for higher brains than mine-- @Chuggs or others--here is my question:

I think you should be sure the cable from the battery to the busbar is the same size and length as the others, so that it is evenly spread. Is that true?

Does the attachment of the load on the bus bar need to be placed in a certain position for optimal load spread?

Isn't there some engineering technical way to size this properly? Distance, voltage, etc??

Isn't there some engineering technical way to size this properly? Distance, voltage, etc??
for the load side, I am aware of math. What I don't know is busbar rules, and the division rules when splitting between cells.

In my situation, I am going to have 2 Xantrex 3k inverters coming from the busbar. Each of those runs will be sized to their max load with comfortable allowance for overage.

The bus bar itself must be capable of the 6kw of power delivery.

I am thinking that each individual battery connection must also be capable of the 6kw power...otherwise if a cell where to die, then the power would cause a fire due to an overload situation.

If that is true, then all battery cables must be sized for the max load.

That means that I would need to have 4/0 cable between batteries and bus bar, and then each inverter would be 3/0 cable.

Going direct copper between batteries sure is intriguing, but I am worried about the movement of the batteries as I barrel down the US highways hitting potholes, slamming on my brakes, and doing emergency lane changes just to prove I can...would I harm the studs on the batteries?

Lots of stuff to research.

Interesting…and It would depend on the size of the individual battery…whether it be a 100ah or the 270ah that BB also makes. If using a regular 100ah battery, based on the chart below, and if you only run from the battery to the busbar, you should be able to use 2/0 since it will be less than 200 amp for each individual battery….

The cable from the busbar to the inverter and shunt/ground would need to be larger….up to 4/0…

I spoke to BB about cable gauges and connectivity and they felt that doing the normal parallel design that many use (option 1 at the beginning of this thread) would be fine due to the way lithiums charge and discharge…. Not sure I completely believe that, so I may go with option 2 to ensure I am “more” balanced, but short of running 16 cables (2 for each of the eight batteries) to busbars. And saving the cost of 2 busbars….

Still thinking.

Oh, and other thing they said….that using cables is better than copper bars…due to the threading of the cables vs the solid copper bar, you would have better connectivity. I need to google that some more.
9736E36E-29B9-4085-99BD-9770B3245EBE.jpeg

Ok. Found a place that lists the amperage rating of copper bar. But when I look up the prices for what I would need, I am better off with heavy gauge wire….

Latest resources

Back