Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

mgoodin08

RVF Regular
Hi all we are new to RV-ing in our 2005 Itasca Sunrise. We've noticed that after only 3 days of pretty much urine only going into the toilet that as soon as we get moving it stinks quite bad- mainly that acrid urine stink! Even if it's just two of us. We have been using the Lavender scented RV porta-pack deodorizers but they don't seem to work too well- are there better products?

The tank sure seems to drain properly- drains until dry and then I use the flushing hook up and give it a good dose of fresh water which then seeens to drain all the way out as well. And as soon as the tank is flushed no more odor- it's gone immediately.

Any advice on how to reduce the stink when we get moving? Thank you- we're grateful for this forum! :)

Do you have a washer hookup? If so, make sure there is water in the drain p-trap. Otherwise it let out the fumes from the grey tank, which can smell worse than the black.

This is a great question especially for newbies like me. Plumbing in an rv is really much like plumbing in a house, water seals, ball traps and such. I’m wondering how hard it is to access these fixtures as I imagine they would hidden underneath. Perhaps YouTube might cover some of these issues.

You have to keep the toilet lid closed or it will always smell in the bathroom. Also pour a half a gallon of water with a half a cup of vinegar down your toilet every day to flush all of the urine down into the waste tank.

Hi all we are new to RV-ing in our 2005 Itasca Sunrise. We've noticed that after only 3 days of pretty much urine only going into the toilet that as soon as we get moving it stinks quite bad- mainly that acrid urine stink! Even if it's just two of us. We have been using the Lavender scented RV porta-pack deodorizers but they don't seem to work too well- are there better products?

The tank sure seems to drain properly- drains until dry and then I use the flushing hook up and give it a good dose of fresh water which then seeens to drain all the way out as well. And as soon as the tank is flushed no more odor- it's gone immediately.

Any advice on how to reduce the stink when we get moving? Thank you- we're grateful for this forum! :)
Also buy a small bag of scented nonclumping kitty litter and then pour a cup of it down your toilet with a gallon of water and a cup of white vinegar. It will neutralize the pee smell.

I was going to say use a nose plug!!!

I was going to say use a nose plug!!!
Can always count on you Kevin for a divergent view.…

X2 on keeping P traps full, especially in the the shower. If you don’t use it much, and/or in hot weather, it will dry out quickly allowing all manner of nastiness to vent odors into the coach. Try filling the shower P trap slowly with a quart or two of water and add a little bleach for good measure. Also doesnt hurt to add some of your black tank treatment to your grey tank periodically. I like just dumping some bleach down the bathroom sink if it starts getting stinky.

Last edited:
Agree on p-traps. I run water in all sinks, etc. at times of no use to ensure the p-traps have water which block the odor from rising through dry plumbing.

Can always count on you Kevin for a divergent view.…

X2 on keeping P traps full, especially in the the shower. If you don’t use it much, and/or in hot weather, it will dry out quickly allowing all manner of nastiness to vent odors into the coach. Try filling the shower P trap slowly with a quart or two of water and add a little bleach for good measure. Also doesnt hurt to add some of your black tank treatment to your grey tank periodically. I like just dumping some bleach down the bathroom sink if it starts getting stinky.
Ah come on Rich! Don't you like my dry humor! (Pun intended). I know to many people who gained a reaction to bleach from over exposure to recommend it. That seems to be the number one solution though!

Latest resources

Back