Freightliner Custom
Engine
Cummins 360
TOW/TOAD
2024 Chevy Equinox AWD
Fulltimer
No
Hi All,

Very long story behind this. I'll try to summarize as much as possible.

My wife and I recently acquired a Newmar DP knowing we'd be looking shortly afterward for a toad that would be pulled with all paws on pavement. It's just the two of us these days so we weren't looking for anything major - we would be trading her DD and she doesn't care much for big vehicles, at least not beyond the motorhome itself. After a whole bunch of research, we settled on a decked out 2023 Chevy Equinox which we had to order since we couldn't find one on a lot that was even close to the trim level we wanted. It took long enough to get the car into the system that it wound up being a 2024 model. No biggie we thought. Our dealer told us there wasn't much difference between the '23 and '24, and flat towing was spelled out in some detail in the owner's manual. Then came the surprise.

As I started finding the equipment needed, I also started seeing things like "...not compatible with Equinox models equipped with Active Aero Shutters..." or just "air shutters". Sure enough, phone calls to various vendors confirmed that it could indeed be a problem and, yes, our new Equinox is equipped with that hardware. Other sources gave info along the lines of "with enough jury-rigging you can "probably" make it work". Not exactly inspiring for our confidence. So, now we own a brand new (not inexpensive) car that we would not have bought under any other circumstances. I mean, it's a very nice little SUV but it wouldn't have been at the top of a list as a DD for my wife.

That said, I suppose the essential questions would be - does anyone out there have any firsthand experience with a 2023 or 2024 Equinox that is equipped with aero shutters? Do they really cause available base plate hardware to be incompatible? Are we really going to have to do a hack job on the car to make towing it a possibility? Please chime in with any advice (before we lose our minds, if possible). TIA!

I would hate to start a hack job on a new vehicle. My concern would be whether it will have any negative effect on the warranty.

I would hate to start a hack job on a new vehicle. My concern would be whether it will have any negative effect on the warranty.
Thanks for the reply. My thoughts, as well. We've now learned that the turbo intercooler is also an issue. The only thing that's provided any hope is an installation video on etrailer.com that details a Roadmaster base plate kit being installed on a 2023 Equinox that appears to have the same equipment in all the same places as ours. As they say, though, appearances can be deceiving. I'll be having a chat with those folks again tomorrow.

Oh man, active air shutters and a turbo + intercooler on a DD, to ice the cake perhaps it needs a 7-10 year old technology DEF system.

I'm sorry you're having to go through this but there's likely etrailer or someone else that has competently and carefully put together a work around that hopefully doesn't constitute a hack job. I certainly wouldn't want to void the warranty on a new GM anything.

Yup, I think you could be right. Maybe should have bought a 2014 model for the toad and simply upgraded the DD. We'd be in better shape on both fronts. Another case of hindsight being 20-20, I guess. :(

Hi All,

Very long story behind this. I'll try to summarize as much as possible.

My wife and I recently acquired a Newmar DP knowing we'd be looking shortly afterward for a toad that would be pulled with all paws on pavement. It's just the two of us these days so we weren't looking for anything major - we would be trading her DD and she doesn't care much for big vehicles, at least not beyond the motorhome itself. After a whole bunch of research, we settled on a decked out 2023 Chevy Equinox which we had to order since we couldn't find one on a lot that was even close to the trim level we wanted. It took long enough to get the car into the system that it wound up being a 2024 model. No biggie we thought. Our dealer told us there wasn't much difference between the '23 and '24, and flat towing was spelled out in some detail in the owner's manual. Then came the surprise.

As I started finding the equipment needed, I also started seeing things like "...not compatible with Equinox models equipped with Active Aero Shutters..." or just "air shutters". Sure enough, phone calls to various vendors confirmed that it could indeed be a problem and, yes, our new Equinox is equipped with that hardware. Other sources gave info along the lines of "with enough jury-rigging you can "probably" make it work". Not exactly inspiring for our confidence. So, now we own a brand new (not inexpensive) car that we would not have bought under any other circumstances. I mean, it's a very nice little SUV but it wouldn't have been at the top of a list as a DD for my wife.

That said, I suppose the essential questions would be - does anyone out there have any firsthand experience with a 2023 or 2024 Equinox that is equipped with aero shutters? Do they really cause available base plate hardware to be incompatible? Are we really going to have to do a hack job on the car to make towing it a possibility? Please chime in with any advice (before we lose our minds, if possible). TIA!
This morning GM issued a bulletin revising flat tow instructions for 2023 -2024 Equinox. Notification to owners pending.

This morning GM issued a bulletin revising flat tow instructions for 2023 -2024 Equinox. Notification to owners pending.

Wow! That’s very interesting to say the least. Question - how would I find this bulletin and get on a list of owners to be notified with updates? I’m in GM’s databases more ways than I can think of and haven’t seen anything or been notified about - anything. And still looking for anyone who’s willing to “try” to install any 2023 base plates. My Chevy dealer has been no help at all. Any other info appreciated.

@SilverFoxes Here's a link on another forum where the updated information has been posted.

Thanks very much! Just checked it out and found some other posts that might help with our towing equipment woes.

Latest resources

Back