• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

bharad78

RVF Regular
Hello
I need help with understanding on what parts I need to have solar power in my 2001 Coachman Pathfinder.
At the moment it runs on generator but I am looking foward to getting solar power and batteries when going to any national parks or places where generator is not allowed and there is no electricity.
At the moment I have
  • 8PCS 3.2V 310Ah Lifepo4 Battery LFP Lithium Solar
  • 6 100 W solar panels
In the motor home primarily I have a refrigirator(should be running off propane but I have never tried to run on propane), an air conditioner, microwave.
What parts should I get next and if there any diagram that I can follow it will be off great help.

Thanks in advance.

Hello
At the moment I have
I'm sorry......are you sure about the voltage designation? Typically, they're either 6 or 12 VDC for our application, not 3.2 volts. The 310 AH is great. That'll give you a very nice power reserve.

• 6 100 W solar panels
OK. Dimensions? Nothing wrong with 600 watts, but do you have the roof space for them?

In the motor home primarily I have a refrigirator(should be running off propane but I have never tried to run on propane), an air conditioner, microwave.
Yeah.....the fridge, if not a 12VDC compressor, will require very little.....just control power for running off your propane bottle. (You really should try running off the gas while parked in your drive, so you KNOW it'll operate when you get out there.
The A/C and micro are the energy hogs. Both of them are 120 VAC, exclusively. You'll need an inverter rated for at least the highest wattage rating of the two, and then you'll only be able to run one of them at a time.
What parts should I get next and if there any diagram that I can follow it will be off great help.

Thanks in advance.
For the solar panels, get yourself a good charge controller. You can't hook the panels directly to your battery bank, or you'll overcharge and damage your batteries.
The inverter is another story. One can spend a LOT of money here. A basic inverter can get you by, as long as it's rated for the job. (Probably not less than 2000 running watts.) The problem is.....how sensitive is your electrics/electronics to the wave pattern? A modified sine wave is typical on the lesser cost models. A "pure sine" inverter will treat your electronics a lot better.

You need to do a little research for your knowledge base, my friend.

Roger

Hello
I need help with understanding on what parts I need to have solar power in my 2001 Coachman Pathfinder.
At the moment it runs on generator but I am looking foward to getting solar power and batteries when going to any national parks or places where generator is not allowed and there is no electricity.
At the moment I have
  • 6 100 W solar panels

Thanks in advance.
So you're building your battery right? It will take 4 cells to make 12v battery that would be 4s2p configuration and should have a BMS in the system. The best way to charge via solar is with a buck converter. That is for the same reason that people are having to jump start their small systems while using lithium.
(You would not have to)
Don't expect to run A/C on 600watts of solar. To be honest it is very questionable to run the fridge on solar using the heating element in the boiler. Run it on propane.

Microwaves are over rated. Electric tea kettles, and small aroma rice cookers will not tax the system, and not heat up the RV.

I am not trying to discourage you, but the first job to make solar work, is to learn how to live with less.

I have a swamp cooler here in the sw to keep somewhat comfortable till the temperature is over 110 degrees, and the humidity starts to climb. Then I must retire my dreams and plug in, or suffer.

So you're building your battery right? It will take 4 cells to make 12v battery that would be 4s2p configuration and should have a BMS in the system. The best way to charge via solar is with a buck converter. That is for the same reason that people are having to jump start their small systems while using lithium.
(You would not have to)
Don't expect to run A/C on 600watts of solar. To be honest it is very questionable to run the fridge on solar using the heating element in the boiler. Run it on propane.

Microwaves are over rated. Electric tea kettles, and small aroma rice cookers will not tax the system, and not heat up the RV.

I am not trying to discourage you, but the first job to make solar work, is to learn how to live with less.

I have a swamp cooler here in the sw to keep somewhat comfortable till the temperature is over 110 degrees, and the humidity starts to climb. Then I must retire my dreams and plug in, or suffer.
Thanks I got Renogy Pure Sinewave 3000w inverter cum charger. I need to order BMS. Can you help identify which BMS(amp) I should get. And I heard there are some bms which comes with heated plates to prevent problems to battery during winter, if you are aware of it please share. Have been trying to get the same from Daly customer support but not getting much help. Renogy CS told that BMS is little overrated and I should be fine without it.

They advised to put a 300 amp fuse before the inverter.

I start with a video! All the fires in this video were built with a quality BMS!!! Been a while sense I have talked to a friend that built his own battery bank. He built his bank under the bed, no BMS. He told me it was safe!!! Well I can say if there is a problem he won't have to worry about it!!! One cell getting overheated looks like a Roman candle! Oh did I say one cell? I forgot to state that when one goes they all go in really short order!!!

If a battery company tells you The BMS system is over rated they know more than what you want to know, or are being negligent!!!

I have used Daly! I didn't know that China was still selling to the US because of the dollar value in most countries... this is where you need to get your calculator out! The BMS has to handle 250 amp discharge without it thinking it is a short. You will not be building a wall,rather you will need a bank. The short of it! You will need a BMS for each series string.

IF YOU CAN'T CALCULATE WHAT YOU NEED TO GET, YOU SHOULD STUDY MORE!!!! THE RISK IS VERY HIGH!!!! THERE WILL BE NO WARNING SHOULD A CELL FAIL!!!! AND DON'T BUILD WITHOUT A BMS!!!! I ADVOCATE FUSE WIRE BETWEEN CELL AS WELL.

I personally know of two fires started by lithium batteries!!! Both while owners were out taking care of chores. Because the fires have signatures that can only be blamed on lithium, the cause was diagnosed without talking to the owners. DYI INSTALLATION MAY NOT BE COVERED BY INSURANCE!!!

Oh! I forgot. Only time heating is required is below freezing. A thermostat set for 35 degrees in the battery compartment. It is only needed for charging.

Oh! The video, almost forgot!!!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back