• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Need some advice on wiring new controller to pre existing solar charging system

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
If only one panel is bad take that panel out of the circuit. A panel with that many cells should be putting out about 56 volts.

Yes if one is bad it will bring down the system. However you still need a controller that will handle the panel. The controller I showed you is the best for the money I have found. Another place you can find it is on aliexpress.com it has been rumored that they only make the 60amp controller and sell it as 30,40,and 60amp but I have not confirmed that.

I do understand the money issue, I work around it everyday. I have been volunteering my time to help others with financial concerns set up solar so they can reduce costs while off grid. That is what I do!

If only one panel is bad take that panel out of the circuit. A panel with that many cells should be putting out about 56 volts.

Yes if one is bad it will bring down the system. However you still need a controller that will handle the panel. The controller I showed you is the best for the money I have found. Another place you can find it is on aliexpress.com it has been rumored that they only make the 60amp controller and sell it as 30,40,and 60amp but I have not confirmed that.

I do understand the money issue, I work around it everyday. I have been volunteering my time to help others with financial concerns set up solar so they can reduce costs while off grid. That is what I do!
Apparently the smaller panel was connected, I took readings with it connected., each panel is around 20.7 or so, after disconnecting it, I'm Still getting 20 open circuit, how do I figure out which is the faulty panel? Is it possible it's not a panel issue but something shorted in the panel wiring? I appreciate your help and how you help others.

Disconnect wires at panels and check each panel out of circuit.

The connectors on each panel are under the panel, requiring unmounnting them, is there another way? Right it’s fairly overcast so I will have to wait to test.

The connectors on each panel are under the panel, requiring unmounnting them, is there another way? Right it’s fairly overcast so I will have to wait to test.
Yes if they all3come in the RV,

I don't understand
hard for me to use the phone so I cut it short and then sometimes you ge a cryptic response.

if the connections are inside the coach then you can separate them inside and measure the voltage there. If the junction is in a box on the roof do it there. No matter you will have to separate the panel connections to measure the voltages, and isolate the bad panel.

Latest resources

Back