• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Need to activate 50 amp

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
These panels cannot actually detect amp capability. Our panel, as an example, makes the assumption that of you have 240v potential across Leg 1 and Leg 2...you are plugged into a 50A outlet. If the potential across L1 and L2 is Zero...then you have used a dogbone adapter which ties the L1 and L2 from the coach together...going to a single line on a 30A outlet.

I would see what the logic is for your display panel.

I agree with @Chuggs . is your inverter going through a transfer switch? If it is the Tie between L1 and L2 should take place on the inverter side of the transfer switch. and you should be able to plug into the shore power 50a 220v and have the panel display correctly.

1604581775655.png

So far, we're assuming that the receptacle is wired properly. As a reminder, the Hot 1 is 120VAC 50 amps and Hot 2 is a totally separate 120VAC 50amp supply. Yes, technically you've got 50 amps per leg, totaling 100 amps potential.

1604582152544.png

Im not sure of what this power box is for (see two pictures)! On the left the power strip has a 4 ga positive wire coming out of the battery house switch, powered by battery bank. This is currently connected on power strip into lug identified '30 amp system heater'. Just above that lug there is an empty lug labled '50 amp converter'. To the right of that open lug a 6 g wire, connected to the right bus is going back in the inverter area. Question, should the wire connected on the left bus be moved up and connected to the open 50 amp lug?

Attachments

• IMG_20201105_092630693.jpg
    IMG_20201105_092630693.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20201105_092334925.jpg
    IMG_20201105_092334925.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
To me in the photo that shows the labels, I see this: The copper bar on the left side of what I'll call a distribution bar is called a bus bar. The left side of the distribution bar are the infeed wires. Since all 4 lugs are connected to a common bar, everything is equally hot on the left side. On the right side, are the outfeed lugs. Each of the wires on the right side are independent from each other and going to a particular device. The left lug and the right lug are connected in the casted plastic molding.

Responding to your question: Reading the label (which by the way is on the wrong side of the bar, in my opinion) There is already a cable connected to the 50amp converter, so I would say no, do not move the wires.

Looking at the other photo, I am a bit concerned about the raw hole that all those wires and cables are coming up through. Not a proper way to install. There should be at least a grommet to soften the edges of the hole to prevent cutting through the wire's insulation. Makes me wonder on the rest of the install being proper. Sorry.

I've also have concerns about how all this has been wired. Before this Michigan rv mechanic put in the 30 amp magna inverter my shore power was 50 amp and worked just fine.

These panels cannot actually detect amp capability. Our panel, as an example, makes the assumption that of you have 240v potential across Leg 1 and Leg 2...you are plugged into a 50A outlet. If the potential across L1 and L2 is Zero...then you have used a dogbone adapter which ties the L1 and L2 from the coach together...going to a single line on a 30A outlet.

I would see what the logic is for your display panel.
I looked into the display panel and notice three wires that went into a prewired circuit board that controlled what power source was displayed. No obvious dog bone connection. Took three pictures of whatni uncovered.

Attachments

• IMG_20201105_110326709.jpg
    IMG_20201105_110326709.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201105_105651895.jpg
    IMG_20201105_105651895.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20201105_105630199.jpg
    IMG_20201105_105630199.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 10

page three has the logic that a similar intellitec panel uses to decide between 50A and 30A.

This manual also has wiring, pinouts, etc...

The dogbone is an accessory device used at the shore power connection. It has a 3-pin TT30 plug to plug into a 30amp shore power receptacle...the other end has a 14-50R 4-pin receptacle to plug your coaches 50A cord plug into. The way they construct the dog bone divides the single Line service of a 30A receptacle...and conducts this to your coaches L1 and L2 leads.

Last edited:
Im not sure of what this power box is for (see two pictures)! On the left the power strip has a 4 ga positive wire coming out of the battery house switch, powered by battery bank. This is currently connected on power strip into lug identified '30 amp system heater'. Just above that lug there is an empty lug labled '50 amp converter'. To the right of that open lug a 6 g wire, connected to the right bus is going back in the inverter area. Question, should the wire connected on the left bus be moved up and connected to the open 50 amp lug?
Not really. The big wire from the battery could be connected to any of those lugs. They share that power thru the copper bar that connects them all.

It appears the Model 760 is an upgrade kit...

We need to make sure we get the correct manual for your EMS. They appear to have used multiple different board and connector combinations. Please make sure the schematic that a manual provides Jives with your panel. It wouldn't be fun to troubleshoot, if the wires aren't what they are supposed to be.

Look carefully for part numbers, model numbers on your component boards. Hopefully, we can find the correct manuals on the intellitec website.

UPDATE>>>. THIS looks more like your panel...

IN which case...the connector you are investigating is NOT J4...It is J6. A 5-pin connector... Terminal 1 and Terminal 3 are the L2 and L1 signal respectively...

Latest resources

Back