Freightliner Custom
Engine
Cummins 360
TOW/TOAD
2024 Chevy Equinox AWD
Fulltimer
No
Greetings All,

My wife and I recently purchased a slightly used 2022 Kountry Star 3412 at a dealer RV Show in Daytona Beach, Florida. We’ve owned two Class A motor homes between 1999 and 2006 the last being a Country Coach 40’ Intrigue diesel pusher. We traveled extensively with our three kids during that time but they lost interest in long summer trips with mom and dad around the same time they were old enough to have boy and girl friends. ;) The Kountry Star was a perfect fit because it’s only 34 feet. We weren’t ready for another 40-footer yet.

We’re excited once again to experience some more RVing now that we’re retired. We’re about to embark on our first outing, a short shake-down cruise for just three nights. The vehicle we ordered as our dingy won’t be here for another month or two so we’ll be coach-only requiring a little more planning. This being our first Newmar, with which we’re quite impressed so far, I have a few questions that some of you out there might be able to answer. I’ve attached a few photos of items I can’t find in any of the manuals, etc. in the owner file case. The first question involves a very unusual electrical item attached to one of the passenger-side basement doors: a simple black box wired to something unknown. It has a single red light that blinks on and off about every three seconds. Not having even the slightest idea what it is or its function is quite bothersome. Has anyone ever seen one of these on their Newmar coach?

The second issue is much more straight forward. There’s an electrical panel recessed into the closet wall. We’re simply wondering if a cover for it exists. I’d go to Newgle and try to find the part but don’t know what to search for. Any info on that would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any assistance. We’re happy that a good owner forum like this exists.

Best regards,

Howard and Sharlene Fox

Attachments

• IMG_7988.jpeg
    IMG_7988.jpeg
    86.6 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_7987.jpeg
    IMG_7987.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_7990.jpeg
    IMG_7990.jpeg
    76.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_7989.jpeg
    IMG_7989.jpeg
    82.8 KB · Views: 23
The 1st item, the one with the blinking red light looks like a range extender for an add on tire monitor. I installed one very similar to it for my TST tire monitor system.

I believe that is the same box I have in my back closet but it appears Newmar hid my wires a little better. I THINK the box is for the KIB lighting system.
I'm sure someone who has a coach like yours will inform us shortly.

Attachments

• 20230515_143920.jpg
    20230515_143920.jpg
    426.6 KB · Views: 6
I would agree it is the KiB lighting and 'systems' controller. They stash them everywhere. You will only need to get to it in an emergency (if something on the KiB system fails) and even then you have to take it to an authorized dealer as KiB protect their secrets like Ft Knox. I made a little cover for ours and the cables as it is in one of our medicine cabinets in the rear bathroom (4569)
There will be lots more to learn but you will have a great time! Welcome back to the traveling circus :)

My thought on the red blinking box was tire pressure monitor range extender as well.

The box in the closet is definitely the KIB panel. Same place they put it in our Superstar.

On the KIB system there is an update for the software that fixes an issue where the switches wouldn’t work periodically. Had to do a reboot of the system using the battery disconnect to get the switches to work again.

update came out in January so something to see if the dealer updated before you picked it up.

The 1st item, the one with the blinking red light looks like a range extender for an add on tire monitor. I installed one very similar to it for my TST tire monitor system.
Thanks J&JD and All who replied!

Between your posts and others on IRV2, the nail's been hit on the head; remnants of a TPMS, something I will be looking for soon. And, hanging some clothes in the closet will suffice in hiding a somewhat unsightly electrical panel, although it does beg the question, why not put a door on it? Maybe I'll make a weekend project out of doing just that.

Our shake-down cruise starts in a couple days. I have a feeling I'll have several more questions by the time we get back. Nice to know where we can go on the web to seek answers. :)

Again, many thanks!

Latest resources

Back