Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Hgallyn

RVF Regular
Hello all! We are in the market to purchase a used 2004 or newer 32’ to 34’ with 2 slides class A motorhome (budget under $50,000). We have absolutely no clue what we should ask or look for. Of course title is very important and we will be on the lookout for that. We were going to go look at one motorhome, but I noticed the generator was only an Onan 4,000, which stuck out as being unusual. I’d appreciate any and all advice.

Most important is to find a floor plan you like. Onan 4000 is common on 30A rigs. Most class A's are 50 A. When you find one you like go over it with a fine tooth comb, even crawl under it and have a good look. Look for water damage discoloration on the ceiling or walls. I would not buy it before having it inspected by an independent certified RVIA inspector.

Ive been researching MHs for a year now.

In addition to picking a floor plan, you need to make a list of must haves and a list of deal killers. For example, most MHs in the SE are in Florida. If I buy from a dealer, I have to pay 6% sales tax, then another 6.6% here in Georgia. So a dealer MH in Florida is a deal killer for us. We must have a walk around queen bed that can be slept in with the slide closed. Also the fridge must be accessable with the slide closed.

Gas or diesel, age, carpet or tile or laminate flooring, 1 or 1.5 baths, washer/dryer, there are a bunch of factors to consider.

There are a lot of nice Class As in the 40-50k price range, many more than Class Cs in the same price range.

50k will buy something in the 03-10 year range. Thats 11-18 years old, even a low mileage rig will probably need some repair and maintenance. are you handy with working on vehicles or will you need to hire repairs/maintenance out?

Pretty good advise already provided. Just so you don't get confused on the sales tax issue. In the states I'm familiar with it really doesn't matter if you buy from a dealer or private party you will still pay sales tax. If you buy from a dealer he will collect it, if you buy from a private party you will certainly pay it when you register your new purchase in your state.

Good luck with your search.

If I buy from a dealer, I have to pay 6% sales tax, then another 6.6% here in Georgia.

That sounds odd. I can buy anywhere and only pay tax in VA. It may be collected in the state of purchase, but it goes to VA when registered.

FL has no income tax. When a Florida dealer sells a vehicle, the dealer is required to collect 6% FL sales tax. It doesnt matter if the buyer is a resident or nonresident. It doesnt matter if the buyer immediately drives the vehicle out of state to register in their home state. I live in Georgia, motor vehicles have no sales tax, we have TVAT tax. The TVAT tax varies by county, in my county TVAT tax is currently 6.6%. If I buy a motor vehicle in FL and prove that I paid 6% sales tax in FL, I still have to pay GA TVAT tax. Its a bummer, but thats how the law is. If I buy a motor vehicle in Arizona and drive it out of state and back home to Georgia, Arizona will give me a 30 day drive out tag and collect no sales tax.

I had considered buying a MH from Cruise America. If I buy in FL and pay $40,000, I will pay $2400 FL sales tax and $2640 GA TVAT.

If I fly to Tucson and visit family, I can buy from Cruise America in AZ and only pay $2460 GA TVAT tax, and have a nice long and scenic drive home.

Non-motorized vehicles like TTs and 5ers in GA are not subject to TVAT tax, they fall under sales tax and you pay an annual personal property tax instead of a one time TVAT.

Some states allow a credit for sales tax paid in another state, GA is not one of them.

Its best to learn the tax and title laws in your state before buying a vehicle out of state.

In GA, vehicles over 25 years old may or may not have a title. Only vehicles with a title are subject to TVAT tax. I own a 65 and 67 Mustang that do not have titles. I did not pay tax on either car when I purchased them, only the 20$ registration fee. I guess for me it all washes out in the end.

Again, if you are considering buying out of state, learn the tax and registration laws for both the state you live in and the state you intend to buy from.

Dont believe anything you read on the net, especially when it comes to your money.

Thanks for that explanation, @Retired. Is TVAT is a one-time hit?

In GA, TVAT tax is a one time tax. It replaced sales tax and annual personal property tax on motor vehicles about 10 years ago.

Most important is to find a floor plan you like. Onan 4000 is common on 30A rigs. Most class A's are 50 A. When you find one you like go over it with a fine tooth comb, even crawl under it and have a good look. Look for water damage discoloration on the ceiling or walls. I would not buy it before having it inspected by an independent certified RVIA inspector.
Thank you

Ive been researching MHs for a year now.

In addition to picking a floor plan, you need to make a list of must haves and a list of deal killers. For example, most MHs in the SE are in Florida. If I buy from a dealer, I have to pay 6% sales tax, then another 6.6% here in Georgia. So a dealer MH in Florida is a deal killer for us. We must have a walk around queen bed that can be slept in with the slide closed. Also the fridge must be accessable with the slide closed.

Gas or diesel, age, carpet or tile or laminate flooring, 1 or 1.5 baths, washer/dryer, there are a bunch of factors to consider.

There are a lot of nice Class As in the 40-50k price range, many more than Class Cs in the same price range.

50k will buy something in the 03-10 year range. Thats 11-18 years old, even a low mileage rig will probably need some repair and maintenance. are you handy with working on vehicles or will you need to hire repairs/maintenance out?
Thank you. I never would have considered using the bed and fridge while slides are closed and that’s important to me. We will only be doing 2 to 3 day trips the majority of the time, with an occasional 7 day trip. We are NOT handy at all, so we will need to hire out.

Latest resources

Back