Grand Design
RV Model
Imagine 2600RB
RV Length
29'
TOW/TOAD
Ram 2500 6.4
Hello everybody,

My wife and I are recently retired and we are looking to live in a TT full time for 9 months or so.

We are very new to RVs and would like some advice. We are planning to sell our house in the next couple of months and during that time will be looking to buy a new or used Grand Design Imagine 2600RB (there are several for sale, new and used in our area) and a 3/4 ton gas truck (either F250 or Ram 2500). Either vehicle will manage the payload and towing. We will be bringing our 2 dogs (90 and 60 lbs). We plan to travel mostly southern states, no boondocking, hopefully state and national parks.

Are TTs set up with a generator or come with one? Any recommendations on a generator?
Do they come with converters and inverters? (How does the refrigerator, A/C keep working while traveling)?
What is necessary to keep on in the trailer while traveling long distances?
Is it weird to get a NRVIA inspector for an new trailer?
Do the trailer tires need upgrading? To what speed, or brand, etc.
Should I get a sway control/weight distribution hitch like an Equalizer?
What do you recommend bringing extra and for repairs (electrical, leaks, hoses, batteries, fuses, roof leaks, etc)?
How many propane tanks do you recommend?
What about toilet chemical?
I have concealed carry license in Texas and know the reciprocity map, but does that mean while traveling it just needs to be concealed? What about the laws for other states while trailer is hooked up? Not looking to hunt bear, but I travel with a revolver for personal protection.

I know I am forgetting a lot, please feel free to fill in things you think from your experience that would be helpful. We realize that we are lacking knowledge and experience in this venture. Be brutal if needed. Thanks in advance.

You have quite a list here. I can pick out a couple:
- STD Generator in TT - the question with built in is storage area and fuel. Most TT I see with generators use a portable one.
- Most TT refrigerators switch between electric when plugged in or propane when not.
- Never leave home without a properly installed and adjusted sway control, no matter the tow vehicle. Nothing worse than the tail wagging the dog on the highway.
- For tools, you can never haul enough tools to fix everything. We carry a basic tool set that we bought as a kit. Anything major needed can be added as you go or hire done if needed.
- TT generally have at least one tank included and often times 2. Easy to get filled when traveling instead of giving up storage space for a propane tank. Generally they are a bit bigger than the ones you use for a home grill.
- We have a motor home and dump often. Some might not agree but we don't use chemical. Sometimes we put a little dish soap and water in to slosh around after dumping.
- We always carry a handgun. More and more states honor the laws of other states. That info is found online and best found from law enforcement. We use "don't ask don't tell".
Hope some of this helps.
My company does financing and service contracts. Let me know if we can help.
Thank you,
Ken

You have quite a list here. I can pick out a couple:
- STD Generator in TT - the question with built in is storage area and fuel. Most TT I see with generators use a portable one.
- Most TT refrigerators switch between electric when plugged in or propane when not.
- Never leave home without a properly installed and adjusted sway control, no matter the tow vehicle. Nothing worse than the tail wagging the dog on the highway.
- For tools, you can never haul enough tools to fix everything. We carry a basic tool set that we bought as a kit. Anything major needed can be added as you go or hire done if needed.
- TT generally have at least one tank included and often times 2. Easy to get filled when traveling instead of giving up storage space for a propane tank. Generally they are a bit bigger than the ones you use for a home grill.
- We have a motor home and dump often. Some might not agree but we don't use chemical. Sometimes we put a little dish soap and water in to slosh around after dumping.
- We always carry a handgun. More and more states honor the laws of other states. That info is found online and best found from law enforcement. We use "don't ask don't tell".
Hope some of this helps.
My company does financing and service contracts. Let me know if we can help.
Thank you,
Ken
Thanks for the information Ken, I appreciate it.

Since you're looking at 2500/250s, I would also look at 3500/350s. For about $1500 you get the same ride quality and a nice bump in capability.

I would just stick with wherever size propane tanks the trailer has on it. Since you're going to be staying in sites with power, you won't need much propane. I only use it for my BBQ and my propane fire pit. Got myself an electric frying pan for anything I can't BBQ.

I would just turn the fridge off before traveling; it will stay cold as long as you leave it closed. Easier on your battery to not run it on electric while traveling and safer to travel with your propane tanks closed.

Definitely upgrade to Goodyear Endurance tires or something else that's not made in China. Do that before your first trip.

I highly recommend a 4 point weight distributing hitch with bars (not chains). You won't necessarily need the weight distribution with a 3500 but you can't beat the sway control. Equal-i-zer is said to be the best but Fastway E2 and Curt Tru-Track are also good options with lower costs. Get a good hitch shop to set it up for you, not an RV dealership.

Since you're looking at 2500/250s, I would also look at 3500/350s. For about $1500 you get the same ride quality and a nice bump in capability.

I would just stick with wherever size propane tanks the trailer has on it. Since you're going to be staying in sites with power, you won't need much propane. I only use it for my BBQ and my propane fire pit. Got myself an electric frying pan for anything I can't BBQ.

I would just turn the fridge off before traveling; it will stay cold as long as you leave it closed. Easier on your battery to not run it on electric while traveling and safer to travel with your propane tanks closed.

Definitely upgrade to Goodyear Endurance tires or something else that's not made in China. Do that before your first trip.

I highly recommend a 4 point weight distributing hitch with bars (not chains). You won't necessarily need the weight distribution with a 3500 but you can't beat the sway control. Equal-i-zer is said to be the best but Fastway E2 and Curt Tru-Track are also good options with lower costs. Get a good hitch shop to set it up for you, not an RV dealership.
Thanks Rosy. I will plan on getting a good hitch and upgrade the tires. We may not need a generator if everywhere we go has power, but I will probably get a small one to run the A/C and refrigerator just in case.

Thanks Rosy. I will plan on getting a good hitch and upgrade the tires. We may not need a generator if everywhere we go has power, but I will probably get a small one to run the A/C and refrigerator just in case.
I don't have personal experience with generators but, from what I've heard, Honda is the way to go.

I had 2 Honda 2000's tied together. They were small, quiet and easy to lift.

Would suggested you not sell the house until you know how you will live in an RV.
If you need the sale to purchase the RV, then I would suggest an RV rental b4 selling. Possibly a short term rental on the house if you need the funds.

Not so important on the facilities of the RV as, drive ability (whose driving), space constraints, boon docking or RV parks etc.

we have met more than a few people that were sorry for making this decision. Finding a used RV with everything you want will be difficult. ordering one will be pricy.

welcome to the club

Would suggested you not sell the house until you know how you will live in an RV.
If you need the sale to purchase the RV, then I would suggest an RV rental b4 selling. Possibly a short term rental on the house if you need the funds.

Not so important on the facilities of the RV as, drive ability (whose driving), space constraints, boon docking or RV parks etc.

we have met more than a few people that were sorry for making this decision. Finding a used RV with everything you want will be difficult. ordering one will be pricy.

welcome to the club
Thanks for the reply. We are selling the house in order to pay for the next house. The next house will be on family acreage that we will be able to hook up to electricity and water with the RV and live in it that way if we need to. But we like to travel and camp, so we thought we would give it a shot.

We don't get deterred easily, but we like to be prepared. We have a couple of months or more to research.

There are several of the TT models we like for sale locally, so hopefully that will work out. Thanks for the welcome.

I had 2 Honda 2000's tied together. They were small, quiet and easy to lift.
Thanks. Did you tie them together for more wattage output or longevity?

Latest resources

Back