Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

GetOutside

RVF Regular
New to the MotorHome scene, And realized late in the Purchase process our new Coachman Class C does not come with a spare tire.
The Dealer Salesman said that was common, they expect you to use roadside assistance.
I've never pondered this situation, Always ready with a spare, (perhaps 2 in Baja !). The little bit of info on the assistance programs seem to note they will change the tire, NOT provide one. Any Insights here?
I've Reached out to ForestRiver Reps & the Dealer (since prior to purchase) to get the specs on the AfterMarket Aluminum Wheels that came with the Rig, so I can purchase the same wheels or identical spec'd wheels, Important since it's AWD. It's a dually, so i'm prepared to "take my chances" on the rears. Any Insights from the experienced here?

I had a blowout on I-90 in South Dakota, (on memorial day) the roadside assistant had tires, pricey but got me going, I informed the roadside assistance of needing tires, gave them the size over the phone, this was years ago with a fifth wheel

New to the MotorHome scene, And realized late in the Purchase process our new Coachman Class C does not come with a spare tire.
The Dealer Salesman said that was common, they expect you to use roadside assistance.
I've never pondered this situation, Always ready with a spare, (perhaps 2 in Baja !). The little bit of info on the assistance programs seem to note they will change the tire, NOT provide one. Any Insights here?
I've Reached out to ForestRiver Reps & the Dealer (since prior to purchase) to get the specs on the AfterMarket Aluminum Wheels that came with the Rig, so I can purchase the same wheels or identical spec'd wheels, Important since it's AWD. It's a dually, so i'm prepared to "take my chances" on the rears. Any Insights from the experienced here?
I carry a spare tire only no rim as there is no way I could change a tire and for sure I do not have a torque wrench capable of going to 320#s.

I carry a spare tire only no rim as there is no way I could change a tire and for sure I do not have a torque wrench capable of going to 320#s.
And that my friends is why many RVs don't come with spares. Man handling the tire, and tools required to do the job!!!

I got rid of my spare when I replaced my 7 year old tires with new. That was in 2016. I gained extra storage space and lost a lot of dead weight. I have always carried road side assistance but have yet to use it.

Safe travels

Darrell

Thanx to all, A bit of learning experience for me. My rig is a fairly compact 24' Class C,/ B+ , on a transit platform. This unit is leaning into the "overlander" market, which is where my use commonly intersects.(Nothing crazy,but plenty of off-hiway trailheads.) I completely get it the no spare rationale with Class A's.. Guess the Easy out for Forest River is to cancel the spare for all their Motorhomes. Can't fathom not having one for my use though...

My 11 year old class C has a spare tire, which is probably the original. I'm wondering if I should ditch it to save weight. I'm never going to change a tire on this class C. Should I ditch the jack also??? I do have road side assistance.

My 11 year old class C has a spare tire, which is probably the original. I'm wondering if I should ditch it to save weight. I'm never going to change a tire on this class C. Should I ditch the jack also??? I do have road side assistance.
Our old class c had a spare. We did buy a new one when it aged out.

Came in handy when we had a tire go during a trip. Easier for the roadside assistance to just swap instead of having to mount a tire etc.

Our 2021 Concord came with a spare. I guess some have one and some do not.

Latest resources

Back