Forest River
RV Model
Wildcat Fifth-wheel
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2019 Ford F-250.
Fulltimer
Yes
Over the last 2 years or so I have learned a lot here. Mainly from asking newbie questions.

I understand the importance of tire checking and maintenance. Pressure etc. I got to wondering if my travel day has a forecasted 100 degrees or a high of 80 degrees do you change your morning cold temp. Pressure?

Am I over thinking this again?

Cold Tire Pressure is a relative term (misnomer), this term refers to whatever temperature the tire is prior to driving on it. The idea is to check the pressure at the beginning of the day.
Tire mfg have, hopefully, tested the tire in a wide range of ambient temperatures. “Cold” or starting temperature is just a reference to a tire at the beginning of a trip or beginning of the day.
There are a number of things to keep in mind, if starting the day in an extreme cold day at a substantially different altitude might generate an unexpected pressure change. Still not something I’d worry about that day.
Next day I’d start the day with a pressure check at the beginning of the day.
I guess the key here is check pressure at the beginning of each day,
it is interesting to see the air pressure changes when starting mid day in Death Valley and starting the next day at 9,000 feet in the mountains of Colorado.

Last edited:
Under inflation makes tires run hot! When the tires run hot it weakens the carcass, and can lead to failure. Use a chart for recommended pressure based on loading, and fill tires cold. This as Joe stated is not a temperature thing. As soon as the tire starts turning heat builds up in the sidewalls, and a true pressure is not obtainable, that is why you check before moving the rig.
Unless you are overloaded the max pressure should never be so high as to cause issues in hot climates. For the record the difference in pressure from sea level to 15000 ft is roughly 8 psi

I think people do overthink or over engineer tire pressure. I check them prior to departure and if they are within 5 psi or so I don't do anything. People spend way too much time trying to get them matched up or within 1-2 psi of desired pressure. The pressures change so much while driving from temps, etc. The "spirit" of tire pressure is to be within the ballpark of your target pressure as calculated from corner weighing and referencing the tire charts. I run mine quite above the tire charts so I'm safe but various techs and personnel have recommended higher pressures for sidewall life, etc. There are a lot of opinions on tire pressure including +1 from me, this is just how I do it.

Are you guys serious (?) Do you really get out your pressure gauge and check all of your tires prior to departure every day ? Man, I'm a "dork"...I might do a walk around (it's on my check list 😊) and make sure I don't have a flat. And if it looks low, I whack it with my "stick". My knees wouldn't like a daily pressure check. Hmmm...makes me wonder.

Haha, nope, I let my TST Truck TPMS come online and review all pressures.

To be honest I rely on the TPMS system most of the time for daily checks on a trip, unless there has been a significant environmental change temp/altitude.
Normally I run +5 to +10 psi from the recommended pressure for current weight, but not over Max recommended tire pressure.

I’m usually traveling 1 day each 10 - 20 days. I pick either the day before or two days most. As soon as I get up I turn on my TPMS and check the tires. Any variance over 2-3 lbs. I correct.

Regarding checking tire pressure on the inside tire of the rear duals, can you easily reach the inside valve stem with the typical trucker extension air chuck?

Latest resources

Back