Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

pilot

RVF Newbee
Newmar recently came out with a front drive/engine class a motorhome, I think it was a Canyon Star. Has anyone had any experience with this home? Looking for pro/cons as it is in my consideration for diesel and like the mid-entry of a front engine design. Have been considering a DP but is this a good option?

Interesting model…. I personally do not know much about it except what I have read, but I feel it’s biggest draw is the ability to be produced as a toy hauler. It should have more CCC than a gas equivalent. Otherwise, I would rather have the engine in the back.

I saw a couple of those being delivered when we were doing our factory delivery, and at least one other being prepped for delivery. I liked what I saw. Cool concept. They seemed to be a popular model.

Just out of curiosity, why do you like mid-entry? It seems to me to be a waste of precious space.

All - We had mid entry motorhome with DP. It has a lot to speak for it as far as design goes in the house. Ours came into the kitchen, with living room forward. It had split back and bed was slide out drivers side, vanity out passenger side. We liked the floorplan as large kitchen, could actually cook at home.

However, with the engine/transmission in front, with a loonnggg drive shaft to turn the rear wheels, lots of lost efficiency for pulling toad, and getting up hills. Some of that depends on what engine is installed in it. Even our DP with 360HP is underpowered going up steep hills here in the Appalachian mountains. Win the lottery, New Aire 35 with 450 is my go to home.

For me, the two draw backs would be engine noise and heat generated between the two front seats?

Yep, that too. When we started looking to rid ourselves of the 40' DP, and wanted something smaller, we looked at a number of front engine gas smaller class A's. The BH, rode in two, and said if I was going to buy one of those she was going to stay home because of the nose of the engine. It was only luck and a nice salesman in Quartzsite, AZ who showed us several Class A, smaller DP coaches. We did not buy the Winnie version, and thank the good heavens above we did not buy the Thor brand. We talked to at least 5 Newmar and Ventana owners and all said they would buy that brand and model again. So that is where we ended up. Remember, every floor plan and chassis design is a compromise someplace, it's your job to find the unit with the least amount of those compromises for you. Keeping your BH happy is a plus you will cherish for years down the road. I actually let her pick the floor plan simply because she more than I had concerns about shower size and kitchen usability. Still wish kitchen was larger, very hard to cook effectively in such a small space.

Just out of curiosity, why do you like mid-entry? It seems to me to be a waste of precious space.
It seems it would be easier to access the interior of the MH if you are carrying heavy/bulky items and groceries. Also wife likes the way it seperates up the space into eating area and living area

We had a 2015 Canyon Star 3921 Toy Hauler for 4 seasons. The mid-entry was better for bringing larger things into the MH, or trying to get 4 dogs in/out with any degree of "order" because you aren't trying to squeeze between the console and the passenger chair, but as noted you are using up an extra 30" of wall space. The gas toy hauler was loud going up / dn the mountains here on the East Coast but we never dropped below 45 and we were near the CCC and towed limits. When they announced the diesel version I looked up the stats and was disappointed to see that they really hadn't improved the CCC or the towed limits. Although the engine is up-front a diesel isn't going to rev to 4500 rpm so I imagine it will still be a much quieter experience.

We traded up for our Ventana and if fixed all of our significant complaints: CCC, towed limits, cabin noise, more interior space, and better basement space (no drivetrain).

- Richard

It seems it would be easier to access the interior of the MH if you are carrying heavy/bulky items and groceries. Also wife likes the way it seperkitchen or bathroom. ates up the space into eating area and living area
Our first DP was a National center entry coach in 2001. Loved the floor plan which had several advantages, entry into the kitchen without having to walk thru the coach, Entry door under the main awning, entry door close to the bathroom and tile vs carpet to get to the kitchen or bathroom. Of course back then was only a 2 slide vs 3 or 4 slide floor plan.

Latest resources

Back