FYI Newmar just doesn’t seem to get it!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Those outlets should be on a breaker.
They are, but I presume you mean by themselves, in which case I agree.

I don’t understand how Newmar was able to make certain that my jacks won’t work when the engine is off but to do the same for the the awnings is somehow a mystery.

I don’t understand how Newmar was able to make certain that my jacks won’t work when the engine is off but to do the same for the the awnings is somehow a mystery.
Following an engineering spec I presume. Did Girard direct this "feature"? Go back to Girard and ask them if they directed Newmar to wire an engine disconnect. Newmar may not be at fault here.

Following an engineering spec I presume. Did Girard direct this "feature"? Go back to Girard and ask them if they directed Newmar to wire an engine disconnect. Newmar may not be at fault here.
Girard provides an ignition lockout with their awnings. I doubt they do so for Newmar to ignore it. So either Newmar isn’t installing it properly on some coaches, or they are and it doesn’t work properly.

hopefully @TJ&LadyDi will fill us in once his humpty is made dumpty again by Girard

We will be asking a lot of “Humpty Dumpty” questions and will definitely report the answers we get. Pretty obviously, the ignition interlock in our coach (if it was installed) didn’t work in at least one instance. Whether that was due to (a) it not being installed by Newmar, (b) not being properly wired by Newmar or (c) a defective unit provided by Girard to Newmar is unknown at this point.

Let me reiterate, however, that I get the sense Girard is genuinely concerned about what caused our awning to extend and wants to find the answer. They have been great to work with thus far and I’m convinced that will continue.

TJ

I have little tolerance for corporations who take $500K of my money and then consider "unplugging the plug" as a reasonable alternative to experiencing a disastrous mishap.

I have little tolerance for corporations who take $500K of my money and then consider "unplugging the plug" as a reasonable alternative to experiencing a disastrous mishap.
You would be amazed at the number of people I’ve heard from who think my frustration with Newmar over this is completely unreasonable. And, very few of them are Newmar owners. Interesting.

Fortunately, Girard has been great about stepping up, and I’m confident the issue will be resolved satisfactorily. I still have not received any response directly from Newmar.

TJ

I suppose rotating the outlet would be an option. That would put the switch on the outboard side.

TJ
This looks like a quick solution for switching the awning plugs:
8C2BAA3E-042D-4F59-8EAD-13F12FA403BE.jpeg
190E4D69-95BC-414A-942A-D36E4CC7DD31.jpeg
6B2F55F3-BF84-4253-946A-F05A9444770B.jpeg

Ours must be different than all the others, because on my panel above drivers position, I have awning panel, one switch off/on; one switch extend/retract; one switch wind sensor, high/medium/low. We have never had awning extend going down road, as I turn off switch as part of pre-departure check list. Normally, we don't use awning much anyway, berceuse I don't want to lose it if wind just does a wonkey thing.

FWIW-This will be our last Motorhome/RV period. The lifestyle/experience has lost it's allure because of many factors, not the least of which is impossibly of making a trip plan and getting into the places we want to get into, the rudeness of fellow campers. But mostly, the number of people who now own them and are just too stupid to do so, and no I am not talking about a "learning curve" actually the intelligence quotient needed to operate a large vehicle safely and professionally.

I am not talking about a "learning curve" actually the intelligence quotient needed to operate a large vehicle safely and professionally.
Not to get OT. But my friend, this is modern society. It’s not just camping or RV ownership. It’s the programming that we are installing into people. It’s the lack of common sense. Quite scary actually.
Mike.

Latest resources

Back