• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Newmar slide activation idiosyncrasies

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Good points… but hard to check all of them in an automated way.

Question. If the slides are run off the chassis battery and they want you to have it running on shore/gen when operating the slides, what if your house batteries are not fully charged… wouldn’t that prevent any charge from going to the chassis battery? I though the inverter/charter did not charge the chassis batteries until the house batteries are topped off. Or do I have that wrong?
Not that hard :)
First the rules,
Then the sensors
Then the wiring
Then the programming logic
Then the user interface
Done.

Good points… but hard to check all of them in an automated way.

Question. If the slides are run off the chassis battery and they want you to have it running on shore/gen when operating the slides, what if your house batteries are not fully charged… wouldn’t that prevent any charge from going to the chassis battery? I though the inverter/charter did not charge the chassis batteries until the house batteries are topped off. Or do I have that wrong?
Chassis batteries always charge first.

Chassis batteries always charge first.
If the Inverter/charger is directly hooked to the house batteries, how could that be true?

All - RTFM - Newmar has at least two different procedures for slide operation. The correct one is in the Owner's manual for your unit. Do it that way, or you might damage a system/slide and be stuck.

For mine, coach is at ride height, (air bags full), plugged into Shore Power or Generator Running. Engine OFF, Ignition OFF, extend slides (all electric motors), then turn on ignition switch to ON/or ACC then turn on levelers switch, choose auto level, stop auto level (mine always raises up front end so high BH cannot reach 1st step), so I cancel AL and manually level coach with buttons. Once level, ignition off. I because of slide over services bay, put out fresh water/sewer hose first, once done with that do above. RTFM.

Our 2017 wouldn’t go in/out with ignition on or running. There was a few times my heart stopped when nothing happened when I pushed the button to bring the slide in or out, only to find the key was on.

2020 is totally different, works in all configuration. My normally procedure is shore power connected, run engine to bring to ride height and leave running, bring slides in and then disconnect shore power. I do believe FWS operates more smoothly with engine running.
Been there and it is a sick feeling

I though the inverter/charter did not charge the chassis batteries until the house batteries are topped off. Or do I have that wrong?

That is my understanding. Running the engine charges the chassis battery directly.

I will have towatch the metter next time I extend slides. Each model coach may be different, but I assumed the slides would operate off of the larger chassis battery bank.

I have always plugged into power or run the generator prior to slide operation. However, there is a contingent that feel that the best power source is when the engine is running for various reasons. You can definitely notice the difference with the HWH FWS. Also, there are those that feel the kitchen slide that has two motors benefits from the engine running. But my main question was why all the slides on my coach have different ignition lockout systems. How are other DS’s set up?
Mine is setup like yours. I was also told that you should never start the engine while on shore power and you must be at "ride height" to move slide in or out.

I would think the safety rules should be something like:
Slide cannot operate unless powertrain is in Neutral and zero MPH.
Slide cannot operate unless whatever seat is in it's way is moved out of the way.
Slide cannot be operated if baggage doors are in the way (where applicable).
Slide SHOULD be operated when motor is running (for Voltage). Gentle reminder that that is best strategy but can be moved anyway.
Slide SHOULD be operated only when the rig is level and not twisted (but this can be manually overridden with appropriate cautions).
Warning if awning is out if Slide is attempted to be moved (in / out).
Slide operates after appropriate verbal / visual warning that it will move.
If Battery voltage is less than ~12V....warning but not a deal stopper.

Any other rules come to mind?
Slide cannot operate after 2 martini's or 3 Bourbons.

Newmar slides have had different variation over the years, however, at some point they converted all slides to operate (open and close) with engine running (2020??). This method offers the best option to ensure sufficient power available for slide ops.

The elec slide motors require sufficient AMPs to operate. they are mostly ok. However, the HWH FWS must have sufficient Voltage to operate properly. It operates even with chassis batt below 12 v. However, it "may" not fully extend. Though, it will open. When attempting to close, the HWH FWS may run into the main floor. That is why IT IS ABSOLUTLY essential to ensure the chassis batt is charging and can sustain 12+V during the entire HWH FWS ops.

Next time you operate the HWH FWS, observe the chassis batt. You'll notice it'll drop the V considerably, depending on the health of your chassis batts.

All my slides will go in/out with engine running. I've noticed that I will connect to shore power when tech at Newmar brings coach back to the campground and he idles the engine high when bringing out the slides. I tried that and have to say, I think they go out smoother that way.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back