DSDP 4326
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
ISL 450
TOW/TOAD
2023 Winnebago ERA 70A or 2012 Ford Taurus
I will try to make this as succinct as possible.

Hardwired Watchdog surge guard fried.

Nothing controlled by KIB working. No HVAC, tank monitors, toilet flushes, house lights, etc. Switch panels illuminate, but that’s as far as it goes.

Left and right security lights illuminated and their switches are ineffective at turning them off.

Inverter is working and powering fridge, microwave, etc.

What I have done:
-Total shutdown and reboot of house and chassis batteries. No effect.
-Broke out my best bourbon. Some effect.

Any ideas? Planning to call shop in the morning.

Anyone else around you seeing issues?

Do you have Silverleaf on your coach? (What type of coach). Have you tried literally shutting everything down. Not just shut off the chassis battery switch (near the engine) and salesman switch near the front door- you also need to shut off the power to the Silverleaf and all electronics associated with TM102 etc. (if you have TM102 it is usually in your electrical reel bay, it’ll be a couple of white multipin plugs that plug into the bottom of the KB relay board.

Are you getting AC power to the coach or is that completely off due to the watchdog failure?. I had a similar problem last year, where the inverter ran the batteries down because there wasn’t any power and all the systems just basically locked up, there are some devices that are supposed to protect against that as well as the inverter, but for some reason, none of them did their job correctly. I had to completely power down the coach. Everything not just what seems to be the switches in the disconnects and then brought it back up again and overtime was able to figure out the various things that had to be reset, most of them cycling power back up after everything was 100% powered off

Turn on GENERATOR. Any change?

12V (salesman switch) OFF for 1 minute. Turn ON again.

Check fuses such as behind cord reel.

Do you show 50A coming in to coach from shore power? If so, when turning on 50A or GEN do you hear "clunk" in ATS (transfer switch)?

Is hard wired surge guard before or after ATS?

Does induction cooktop or Microwave work?

I'm trying to determine if you're getting 50A to your coach. Do you have a 12V or 120V issue?

Is fried surge guard bypassed?

Edit: I see you said MW is working, inverter is passing 120V to coach.

Check breakers and fuses

Could have lost just one leg of the power supply (120v) which would allow half of the 120v driven items to work while the others (maybe KIB control unit) to not work.

Turn on GENERATOR. Any change?
No change.
12V (salesman switch) OFF for 1 minute. Turn ON again.
Tried that to no effect.
Check fuses such as behind cord reel.
Plan to do that today.
Do you show 50A coming in to coach from shore power? If so, when turning on 50A or GEN do you hear "clunk" in ATS (transfer switch)?
I have 50 amp shore cord disconnected from Watchdog. I will completely bypass the watchdog later today. However, when I turn generator on, the ATS clunks as it should.
Is hard wired surge guard before or after ATS?
Before
Does induction cooktop or Microwave work?
Will find out.
I'm trying to determine if you're getting 50A to your coach. Do you have a 12V or 120V issue?
I have 12v and 120v in the coach. The only missing piece is KIB.
Is fried surge guard bypassed?
Currently neutered, but will be bypassed later today.

Due to other unusual goings on with the S&B, I’m becoming more convinced this is due to a nearby lightning event yesterday afternoon.

Thanks for all the input, guys.

So it sounds like your KiB needs to be rebooted but I'm not smart on that, hopefully someone else can help. The salesman switch (12V cutoff) only cuts off "some" of the 12V loads. There are still many 12V loads that are always on and my bet is KiB is one of those. It would be smart to learn where the KiB main board is located, from what I understand (could be wrong) it's just a raspberry pi / arduino type device aka mini computer. If you could find it and remove power and re-apply power to reboot it that would be something to try.

Sounds like you need to rethink your electrical protection plan. I'm guilty probably of too many protection devices inline from a Progressive Industries surge protector at the pedestal, then to my Hughes AutoFormer internally mounted, and then to a Progressive EMS 50 internal mount and then to the ATS which is also a surge protector.

Hope you can get it squared away. Areas near me were without power yesterday from storms.

On our Superstar the battery disconnect does get the KIB panel as well.

I’d check the fuse panels as we have a fuse for the KIB switches as well just in case the disconnect does not get it.

After some of the earlier and easier suggestions - disconnecting or bypassing the watchdog would be my next step.
We are on our 2nd watchdog and there are times that we bypass it. For us the watchdog is a 2nd level protection as we have a surgeguard unit hard wired.
Hardwired units are nice as they are tucked away, but when they fail, they require more work to replace and aren’t just a simple unplug to see if the unit is causing the issue.

Latest resources

Back