RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Dutch Star
RV Length
TOW/TOAD
2021 Willys
We usually rely on the electric elements for hot water in the Oasis system. I recently tried the burner, and it will light for about 3 seconds, then go out, then light, etc. at some point it will stay on for a few minutes till the system is up to temp. I did get to check the lights on the unit and the fuel pump light goes out when it stops and the igniter goes on. I had it last serviced with the ITR rep at a rally a little over a year ago. I still have heat, but would like some input from some of the knowledgeable here as to what to look for. Thanks!

This sounds like the flame sensor is going bad which I believe is part of the 3 year service kit. Its an easy R&R and not too expensive and if it hasn't been done anyway, it’s a good idea to replace it. Check your records and see if it was replaced as part of the service. If not its probably time.

The flame sensor:
and the 3 year maint. kit:

Mine is doing about the same thing and I’ve had the maint. kit for several months but just haven't done it yet. I’ll try to get on it in the next couple days and report back on whether or not it solves the problem. It’s time I got on this anyway.

Thanks Rich!

I can't remember what's in each 1, 3, 5 year service kits. May want to opt for the 5 year service kit but learn what's different in them first. Not hard to do this service yourself and probably will give you confidence it's done right AND you can learn more about the system in the process.

Edit: 5 year ADDS OASIS nozzle assembly

YouTube has videos on how to do the service.

I have done the yearly service before and also replaced the summer pump. If you have done a summer pump in your 43' coach, try one in a 37. The box is mounted above the unit on the frame rail facing the street side. Rather hard to get to. Anyway, I was starting to think it's because of the fact we don't use the burner much at all. I'd bet there isn't more than a few hours use in the last almost 7 years. I'll end up getting a 5 yr kit and install when we get home and settled again. Thanks again for all the helpful people and info on this site!👍

This is what I preach and many are like you that don't use the burner on OASIS and that makes things gel up and rot. Everything has to be used. The same applies to generators, some are geared to having the lowest time on the hour meter for resale which is more of a concern to me than a high time generator. I have over 600 hours on mine and I'm on it now driving AC's on a harvest hosts stop in hot Texas. I am more relieved that my gen is exercising and being used and all the fluids are flowing. I use my OASIS burner regularly, need it or not. Diesel gels up and I don't want that sitting in anything. I also learned a lesson with a corvette sitting in a garage, I spent more money NOT driving it than driving it from things drying up and going bad. Off soapbox - use it! :)

Let's not talk about things drying up and going bad...:rolleyes: I left the burner on and it went through its gyrations then stayed on and has worked correctly as of now. I totally agree, things like to know they're wanted through use.

my experience with the Oasis when it flames out:
1) check the air intake tube is clear and didn’t shake into a position where it is blocked off
2) ensure there is enough fuel in diesel tank
3) how long has it been since last run? Is it possible that the diesel started to gel in the filter? If it has been awhile, keep trying to run it to see if it will purge itself out

Will try to squeeze in and watch the timing of the lights and the flame burning through the glass observation
4) swap out the nozzle if the flame doesn’t appear to be consistent
5) swap out the flame sensor if the flame appears to be consistent

#4 is my usual issue. At this point I keep thr “old” one and use carb cleaner on it , and keep it to swap out if I have an issue. Have one brand new nozzle on hand, but for the past 2 years have been swapping out nozzles every 6 months or so. After a couple times, getting the tools out, putting them away and washing up takes more time than the actual nozzle swap.

I just did a 3yr service (for the 1st time) on Friday and the unit was quite clean. Videos are of great help. I do suggest taking some pictures of the wiring prior to dismantling and glad I did because I had to refer back to them when reconnecting them.

Latest resources

Back