Oasis making a strange noise

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Talked to ITR.

First, as I was thinking, he agreed, leak and noise are going to be unrelated. He said the leak is pretty common, as Newmar uses multiple brass fittings, rather than a single 1/2" NPT to barb. They are sending me new 1/2" npt to barb fittings. Sounds very straight forward, as long as I properly pinch off the supply and return.

Second, on the noise. Said it's very hard to know, but he would suspect compressor or combustion fan. Since I told him the combustion fan ran, with no abnormal sound, on power down and power up, he said that eliminates that. His suspicion is compressor. However, he said it could be the unit itself making noise (starting to fail), but could also be noise from how it's mounted, if something is coming loose. He said the best way to test the compressor, would be to take it off and test on 12v source, since it would also isolate from other noises. He also said he would be hesitant to replace, unless the noise is really bothering me, as it could continue to put out pressure for a very long time, and is a $425 or so part.

I'm going to make sure there isn't a any issue with the exhaust, as Neil suggested, and also check and see if I feel any looseness with the mounting. Since this seems to be isolated to the diesel burner and unrelated to the leak, my biggest fear, which is completely losing the Oasis with a couple big trips coming up, seems unlikely.

I assume yours is similar to my Hydrohot...the burner fan runs in "skateboard bearings". If you are going through the trouble of removing the burner (pretty easy), then you might as well replace the bearings.
So, order them, have them on hand.

While it's apart, get some carburetor cleaner and decarbon everything. Who knows, the noise might be carbon broke loose and is hitting the fan et al.

Replace the diesel filter and consider replacing the nozzle if it's been in service a while.

Don't overtighten the J Hooks that hold the burner to the housing as they can crack the burner aluminum fairly easy.

First, as I was thinking, he agreed, leak and noise are going to be unrelated. He said the leak is pretty common, as Newmar uses multiple brass fittings, rather than a single 1/2" NPT to barb. They are sending me new 1/2" npt to barb fittings. Sounds very straight forward, as long as I properly pinch off the supply and return.
@Tnedator , your picture prompted me to go out and look at mine. I have the beginnings of the same corrosion issue. Looks like I’ll give ITR a call as well. Thank you for your post!

@Tnedator , your picture prompted me to go out and look at mine. I have the beginnings of the same corrosion issue. Looks like I’ll give ITR a call as well. Thank you for your post!
The tech I spoke to said it's very common with the way newmar does it. Even though I have no leak or corrosion on the supply side, he recommended changing both, because he said it's more than likely going to start leaking at some point. What they sell for like five bucks is a single fitting 1/2" NPT to 3/4" barbed, if I remember the sizes right. Newmar has several fitting screwed together, and it's prone to leak.

He also said rarely do they leak a significant amount and even sometimes self-seal as a calcifies from the heat. So he said not a rush but he definitely recommend it changing.

He said a very easy repair, as long as I ensure that the hoses are clamped off, because he said you can lose a lot of fluid very quickly if you don't clamp both the supply and the return.

@Tnedator , when you receive the new fittings, would you mind posting a pic of them?

Latest resources

Back