Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

Tnedator

RVF Supporter
Went to RV garage to start draining the tanks to sanitize. When I ran some hot water prior to draining, the Oasis kicked on and MUCH louder than normal. I took a video, but the engine noise is much more prominent on video than there live. Sounds mechanical, like either a blower fan (do they have one) or pump. I didn't think to turn the burner off and run just on electric to see if it still made the noise, before I pulled the water drain valve and headed back to work.

Any thoughts, what would make a loud mechanical noise in the oasis system.

Probably unrelated, I also noticed a lot of corrosion, reminded me of what you would see on a battery terminal, on one of the inlet/outlet hoses on top of the main unit where the burner is (not the back unit with the pumps). I'll admit I don't get in that bay often, but this sure seems like something that I would have noticed before.

PSX_20230331_122205.jpg

Without hearing the noise I would check what you already mentioned.
In addition, because of that corrosion, be sure to check your coolant level in the main box. I found the circulating pumps will make more noise if there is air in the system. If there is air, be sure to fix the slow leak you have that caused the corrosion, ensure the suction tube is attached in your overflow tube, then fill the tank under that radiator cap with the right boiler fluid. I flip the switch forcing the circulation pumps to run while I had the radiator cap off, (of course don’t open this while hot, let it cool). Over a few minutes the pumps evacuated air from the various zone hoses and had to keep adding fluid before putting the radiator cap back on.
The air compressor pump can also go bad, making extra noise.

Air compressor pump related to oasis?
I checked the overflow tank in engine compartment and it had about 1" of fluid in it. If I recall, that used to be about 1\3 or half full when cold.

Was leaving town to have neck fusion in January and to not risk coach freezing, I left AC on and turned boiler on, in case main garage heat went out. However, I know it always kicks on when fluid gets cool enough, so it's probably been running with small leak for a while.

Can I remove panels with unit still powered to see if there is any damage in main boiler area and possibly better isolate sound?

I'll be at NIRVC in a couple weeks, but have enough other work, that I'm not sure they will be able to fit this in so would like to trouble shoot and see what I can do first.

There is a small air compressor pump in the oasis main box. Part of annual service is to check the air filter on this.
I have run the oasis with the front cover off so I could check for rattles and also do this after annual nozzle cleaning and o-ring replacement to be sure the fire box is burning well - before putting all the screws back in.
Is the sound coming from the boiler box or the distribution box?

If you can repeat the situation and hear the noise and if you can crawl in and get near the distribution unit with the pumps and see if it's coming from a pump or the main heating unit. The corrosion is a problem and I recommend that is fixed ASAP. Hopefully it's just a bad clamp on the hose but it could be a defective fitting. I think there was a recall on later model years that may use a different fitting but not sure if yours is affected.

Noise only occurs with the diesel burner running. It's also not the combustion fan, because I turned the power off and it runs the combustion fan for a little while when power goes off and when power comes on. I can hear the fan but it's quiet. So it's something that only runs with the diesel burner, but isn't the combustion. So, either a dedicated fuel pump if it has one or possibly the compressor mentioned above if it is only used with diesel burner.

If you can take a video, upload it to YouTube you can share it here or send to ITR for them to listen to. Call them first as they haven't been the greatest in answering emails for me in the past and they'll give you an email to send to and will respond promptly.

I can't really tell anything abnormal but look underneath the coach and see if there is an issue with the exhaust.

That's why I didn't initially post video. The mic picks up so much more rumble of oasis, that the abnormal sound which is very apparent in person, wasn't picked up in video.

Good thinking on exhaust. While it sounds mechanical (like a pump or like), I suppose it could be from vibration if something came loose in exhaust.

Latest resources

Back