• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

wkuwiz

RVF Regular
Hello!
I am asking for your help in understanding what may turn out to be a myth... Do RV Parks/COmmercial sites ban some RV's based on age of teh coach? I have seen mentioned >15 years old yet I know there are many great owners who keep their rigs reliable and clean.
I am aware that this post may get opinions about what people think about this but I'd rather learn whether anyone has actually been denied a space based on age. Thank you.

Never been denied or even asked to send a picture, and have stayed in many parks that have this "policy". I've heard others have had to submit a picture before confirming reservations, but none that have been denied. It's simply an attempt to keep run down RV's from resorts. JMHO Blessings

Yes it exists. And it's 10yo in many cases.

I don't stay at those parks. My current bus is a 1986. I don't care if it would or wouldn't be allowed with a picture. I don't care if what I had was brand new off the lot. I don't stay at places that have a 10yo rule. I can generally find some place, any place, else.

One of the parks I used to live in decided they needed a 10yo rule. I had been living there for several years. They let a new trailer in that had turned over on the highway. It was held together with ratchet straps. THAT was allowed to stay.

We left and moved to another park in the same area since we held down jobs (yes I'm one of "those" people that overnighters whine about in park reviews). Got contacted to move back. Not gonna happen. I was later told that it was because I had worked there for a few months in trade for my site rent. I stopped working for them (got a better paying job) so they got rid of me, just like they got rid of the last person who did the same job I was doing.

I also do not stay at 55+ parks either. I got that from when I was growing up in FL. I was in a 55+ park visiting my boyfriend's grandmother. I had gone out to his truck to get something and was rudely spoken to by a group of people (in voices loud enough to be heard inside the grandmother's house) that I was to leave because I was a thief, a drug addict, a whore, a drug dealer, etc. None of these people knew me. That was the last time I was in a 55+ park. I was 16yo.

Oops, sorry, I lied. Back when my husband, daughter and myself were staying down in the Corpus Christi area of TX, we were looking for a park to stay in for several months. Rolled into this one park near the base on Flour Bluff.

Keep in mind that there was no signage on the park, the ad in the phone book never mentioned 55+, nor was that mentioned in any of the directories. There were about 10 young kids running around the park. To start with they said only adults were allowed in the park. When my husband pointed out the kids, he was told those were their grandchildren and didn't count. My husband told them that our daughter was over 21yo (she looked like she was 16 at the time), thinking that they thought she was a kid. It was something we ran into often.

We were told that my husband (55yo) was welcome to stay (they looked at him like he was fresh meat and they hadn't eaten in months). The old Class C (in my name only) was welcome. My daughter (23yo) and myself (49yo) had to find someplace else to stay. This was when they told us it was a 55+ park. We started laughing at them. Seriously, it was terribly funny. We wondered what drugs they were on. Those people were not amused.

The next park we stopped at turned out to be a great little park. Hated leaving it. We still giggle about that 55+ park. All it takes is a mention of Corpus Christi or any 55+ park and we start giggling. It's been over 13 years.

I got flatly turned down sight-unseen twice by the 15-year rule just for overnight stays at two parks in what could be described as backwoods Tennessee along the interstate. Stupid. I usually check park websites and if they refer to a ten-year rule I just go elsewhere. If they're just trying to keep out junkers there are other ways to do that.

A parks policy shouldn’t bother anyone. Different parks develop their policies in part to attract the type of clientele they are looking for. If you don’t like that parks policies, go to one of the hundreds of thousands of parks that don’t have those policies or regulations.

When I was a kid, I did a lot of camping with the local boy scouts. We loved hiking into the woods, gathering firewood, setting up our tents and cooking on the open fire. Then we rolled out our sleeping bags and spent the night on the ground. None of us would have enjoyed being taken to a full hookup RV park.

But today, my interests have changed, and I like a 45’ RV with king sized bed, electric stove, microwave, and residential refrigerator. But I have no problem with people camping in the woods and I hope they don’t have a problem with a campground that doesn’t allow tents.

Our park doesn’t allow children under 12, but that doesn’t mean we don’t like children. In the beginning, we had little or no Internet, and our initial visitors tended to be a bit older and didn’t depend on Internet to enjoy their visit. A few families visited, but with no Internet and nothing to keep the children occupied, they never returned.

Today, we try to attract visitors who enjoy the peaceful serenity of a quiet park. Children in a park that offers nothing to keep them entertained, are seldom content to just sit and listen to the quiet! And adults looking for parks that don't allow children are not children haters just because they enjoy some quiet time!

In the RV park/resort industry, one size does not fit all. Disliking a resort or campground based on policies that may keep someone out, doesn’t mean the resort doesn’t like your vintage camper or children under a certain age, it just means they are trying to maintain the type of clientele that bests fits their environment and the goals they have for their resort.

As I pointed out earlier, there are hundreds of thousands of places to take your RV that don’t have age restrictions on your coach, and the ones that do have restrictions really don’t hate you, they are just trying to attract a certain group of visitors that best fits their particular resort.

Our oldest RV was a 4 year old used fiver we purchased. Based on the quality of most RVs I am not brave enough or skilled enough to own a 15 year old unit. I have enough trouble fixing all the things that break on newer units.

Back to the topic! I realize I am a spectacle, but also not objectionable.

I have been rejected, in a nothing town with no attractions, in NewMexico.

I would like to badmouth them as I was sorely in need of sleep, but as Jim pointed out. It is at the owners discretion. Just the same I would think twice before recommending that town as a stop over site. Truth is I won't even say the towns name.

It might be good to note! The number one complaint I hear about the RV world is about inconsiderate people.

If old is your thing, as it is mine. Cheaper dilapidated RVs shouldn't get a second look, unless you plan on making it presentable. Just saying!!!

Latest resources

Back