• Commercial/Vendors welcome

OTR Diagnostics, DEF, Derate Faults

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Once we get all the current issues fixed on the coach, we have decided to put it up for sale. We will also be listing our Polson RV lot for sale as well. Enough of this foolishness!

Currently, we are looking for a downsized sticks-and-bricks with a great view and amenities. Driving ticking time bombs has lost its charm for us.

TJ

Once we get all the current issues fixed on the coach, we have decided to put it up for sale. We will also be listing our Polson RV lot for sale as well. Enough of this foolishness!

Currently, we are looking for a downsized sticks-and-bricks with a great view and amenities. Driving ticking time bombs has lost its charm for us.

TJ
So glad we got to meet you in better times. Judy D

I have never turned my engine off when fueling as I’d read somewhere that it’s not good for the engine.
This makes little sense to me. How would the engine know or care if you are adding fuel to the tank? You are adding to the top while it is drawing from the bottom if it is running. If not running it’s not drawing. Would love a logical explanation of why the engine should be running while fueling (except for DEF cycle situation being discussed).

I keep mine running while fueling just so I don’t become “that guy” with a no-start in the truck fuel lane.

Add me to the "keep mine running" during fuel stops. I have always done that and after reading this thread am glad I do ... plus I agree with Neemer's reason as well.

FLSteve

I've been reading up on the DeRate aspect of a DEF Header failure. It appears that some OEMs have reached an agreement with the EPA to allow an Emergency Authorization Override that allows the DeRated vehicle to operate without the DEF system for a period of time. There is some reporting requirements but that sure beats sitting on the side of some roadway in "who knows wheresville".

Also, Cummings/Freightliner appears to have either a reset or override triggered by a series of key turns and power resets that may help some get to a Service Center without a tow.

Happened across this on the other forum:

"Anyway... that night, I put the key to the left for two hours as suggested by Freightliner who said that sometimes clears the codes. In the morning, per a youtube video, I shut off the chassis batteries for 15 minutes. I also unplugged and turned off the house batteries for good measure. After 15 minutes, I turned the key to the right halfway not starting the engine. I let the system power up for 15 seconds or so and turned the key back off. I repeated that procedure 4 times and then started the engine. I still had the red stop engine light on and I assume I was still d-rated. I let the engine run a while... I'll guess at least 5 minutes. It sure seemed like a long time. After a couple of minutes, the flashing red low def level light went off and the gauge read correctly at 3 green bars. After several more minutes, the Red stop engine light went off and the system was normal. Excited to avoid a tow or a mobile tech, I started the 41-mile drive to Velocity in Tucson. After 10 miles, the orange service engine light came on and the DEF level flashed red, and it remained so the rest of the way. .....

UPDATE: Just received a call from Spartan. I'm getting a DEF Head! I have Brett Davis and Shaun Huxford of NIRVC to thank. They really took great efforts to look out for me and I am so very grateful. I feel like I can breathe again. ?

I too never shut off while fueling. Primary reason, to answer @J&JD question is that a short cycle of a diesel engine is not recommended. These engines take a lot to crank up. A typical fuel stop for me involves pulling up to the pump, adding 100-120gals of fuel, pulling forward, adding 1-5 gals of DEF, pulling up, using the restroom in coach and then leaving.

If I where to shut off engine at any of those steps, I would be adding 3 start/stop events. That is 3 times more likely for my sensors to give a false error (happens 1 out of 10 times for me), leaves open the possibility that I will break down in fuel lane, and also sends a clear signal to the truckers that I have no intention of hurrying.

Its bad enough when I put out the slides and bring out my lawn chair while fueling, don't need to add a shut off engine to further upset the guys :)

UPDATE: Just received a call from Spartan. I'm getting a DEF Head! I have Brett Davis and Shaun Huxford of NIRVC to thank. They really took great efforts to look out for me and I am so very grateful. I feel like I can breathe again. ?
Awesome news!

@ARD , are they coming to you with the new head or do you need to make the trek to NIRV (Dallas?)?

Latest resources

Back