• Commercial/Vendors welcome

OTR Diagnostics, DEF, Derate Faults

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
When fueling do not shut your engine off. I actually did this my last few legs mainly to keep A/C going as it was so hot. I think with the SP/Shaw issues if I was on a SP I'd limit my engine cycles.
I have never turned my engine off when fueling as I’d read somewhere that it’s not good for the engine.

When fueling do not shut your engine off. I actually did this my last few legs mainly to keep A/C going as it was so hot. I think with the SP/Shaw issues if I was on a SP I'd limit my engine cycles.
This is true for anyone experiencing the DEF faults with check engine alarm. The more you cycle the engine, the closer you come to derating. See my post #6.

Last edited:
It occurs to me that they may be learning the same lesson automakers learned with chip supplies. Companies have optimized their logistics in favor of JIT delivery, keeping very little excess supply of parts sitting on the shelves. Automakers misjudged the impact that the pandemic would have on their industry, reducing their output and canceling orders only to find that when the opposite of their expectations happened (demand for new vehicles increased because people wanted to get out) they could not simply turn the faucet supply of chips back on.

Spartan likely did not cut their supply but with the increase in sales, it seems they didn’t increase the flow either, likely for cost reasons. A problem that could have easily been fixed with a little foresight and a quarter million dollar purchase order may very well result in a class action lawsuit at some point.

You would think they would be able to come up with some kind of work around until they can get more DEF Heads
I'm curious how they are going to go into production if they don't have DEF heads.

This is true for anyone experiencing the DEF faults with check engine alarm. The more you cycle the engine, the closer you come to derating.
@ARD , maybe you need to start cycling your engine on/off. Is Jake the diesel guy amiable to helping you? Maybe you can travel back & forth to where he performed the regen service in the hope that a stop engine light will come on. Then, perhaps, Jake can get Spartan to overnight the part to him. Sounds strange but in your circumstances I might try anything.

I'm curious how they are going to go into production if they don't have DEF heads.

Animated GIF

They have them for production. Production has highest priority.

@ARD , maybe you need to start cycling your engine on/off. Is Jake the diesel guy amiable to helping you? Maybe you can travel back & forth to where he performed the regen service in the hope that a stop engine light will come on. Then, perhaps, Jake can get Spartan to overnight the part to him. Sounds strange but in your circumstances I might try anything.
Yes, there was discussion of this at the other place. I don't want to do this. No one knows how long it could take to derate, so I just need to get as far as possible and park this beastie at NIRVC. Just want to get through the mountains safely.

Yes, there was discussion of this at the other place. I don't want to do this. No one knows how long it could take to derate, so I just need to get as far as possible and park this beastie at NIRVC. Just want to get through the mountains safely.
If you can delay a little longer I can provide air cover :)

This can turn into a PR problem for Spartan very soon. Especially given no one really knows what is going on and why it is happening articulated by @Neal. I sure hope they have a crisis management plan because it seems headed in that direction.
It is my understanding that the problem is two fold. The most immediate problem is that they are waiting for chips from China to complete the assembly of the DEF head. The second issue is the sensor itself is problematic and they have not figured out how to make one without issues. I've heard from Spartan that Cummins and Shaw have been testing and trying to come up with something. I don't understand how they are able to keep producing a chassis that they know could leave a customer stranded on the side of the road. There are so many people with brand new coaches that can't even use their coach. This is unconscionable behavior in my opinion. I agree with @sheridany that this will turn into a PR nightmare for Spartan. I've read about a customer canceling their purchase of a 2022 Entegra Cornerstone due to the DEF sensor issues.

Latest resources

Back