Dutch Star
RV Length
Chassis
Freightliner
TOW/TOAD
2018 Ram
Fulltimer
Yes
Finally figured out a better way to keep the pantry door and silverware drawer shut while traveling. Tired of the tension rods that sometimes don't work.
Amazon product ASIN B09SP31L32Had to bend the mounting side 90° since the door and drawer are not flush with framework. Had to add rubber bumper pads to keep from marring the wood. Will test it Monday when we hit the road.

Attachments

• 20230608_141311.jpg
    20230608_141311.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • 20230608_141817.jpg
    20230608_141817.jpg
    898.1 KB · Views: 18
I put drawer catches on the backside of mine. A bit of work but so far so good.

I saw your post sometime ago and wanted something easier and quicker. Does the catch on the silverware drawer work well? I think we have more weight in it than it should. I tried installing a second catch on it and it didn't work.

I only put the rear catches on the pantry shelves. My silverware drawer also is heavy but has held. I first learned of this trick when Newmar did this to my main slide out for dishes above the sink I was having a problem staying closed. I probably changed the catch for the silverware as I've had several go bad.

Amazon product ASIN B074WFN45Y

The original latches are not the best. I've replaced most on the drawers in the kitchen, bedroom and bathroom. The original ones are weaker.
Haven't had any problems with the cabinet above the sink. But we do use an elastic band around the knobs.
We did have the microwave door come open; the glass platter came out, shattered and went everywhere. Also cracked a floor tile.
Newmar added a drawer catch to the microwave door. Was glad it happened during the warranty.
We have since replaced the Whirlpool microwave with an Advantium. We remove the platter when we travel.

There are different levels of "duty" I'm guessing. I think Newmar put in a heavier duty one on the dish drawer.

Would soft closing door glides also work towards keeping drawers closed!

Would soft closing door glides also work towards keeping drawers closed!
I changed all our drawer slides out to soft close. The only drawer that it didn't work for was the large one below the range top because of the weight in it. I reinstalled the factory latch in addition to the slides so when stationary, the drawer slides close to the latch, but when traveling, just push the drawer in all the way to actuate the original latch. I also removed all the cabinet roller clamp door latches and replaced with small magnetic units which seem to be working well.

@lostinfla what hardware did you use to do that?

These were the drawer slides I bought (check your actual size), and also these are the magnetic latches for the cabinets.

Latest resources

Back