Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

User99x

RVF Newbee
Considering buying a travel trailer that is one foot longer than the driveway - ideal is to store it in the driveway - a potential solution is to park it diagonally in the driveway but can’t seem to find anything related to this - my concerns are: (area I live in allows parking in driveway)

- will it be secure: would the chocks work as normal (slight incline on driveway- nothing major)
- will something break: would the front jack stand have too much stress because it would have more weight
- we don’t use it in the driveway so it doesn’t need to be level - is there another need to keep it level (eg prevent stress to one touch point)
- hooking up and unhooking: I once parked my trailer and when I went to rehook, the trailer hitch would not travel low enough to hook up - I had to prop up the back tires using wood

any insights / experiences are welcome - Thank you

- will it be secure: would the chocks work as normal (slight incline on driveway- nothing major)
Any idea of the incline? Is it a gas or diesel? How long is it?

- will something break: would the front jack stand have too much stress because it would have more weight
Unlikely that your jacks would break as they are designed specifically to level out the unit when parked on an unlevel surface.

- we don’t use it in the driveway so it doesn’t need to be level - is there another need to keep it level (eg prevent stress to one touch point)
If your unit has an absorption refrigerator, it does need to be level as keeping it unlevel can cause damage to the refrigerator.

- hooking up and unhooking: I once parked my trailer and when I went to rehook, the trailer hitch would not travel low enough to hook up - I had to prop up the back tires using wood
I can’t help you here. Just not my thing. Pictures of the driveway might help though

Thinking about the space available, going diagonal may not work either due to the corner of the trailer. You may want to measure from a corner in the rear to the tongue and compare that to the over all length.

Travel trailer chassis as any RV chassis is subject to flex/twist when parked on an uneven surface. Even with levelers the forces that a RV parked on an uneven surface over a period of time will be significant. You might want to consider this.

Any idea of the incline? Is it a gas or diesel? How long is it?

Unlikely that your jacks would break as they are designed specifically to level out the unit when parked on an unlevel surface.

If your unit has an absorption refrigerator, it does need to be level as keeping it unlevel can cause damage to the refrigerator.

I can’t help you here. Just not my thing. Pictures of the driveway might help though
This is very helpful - I didn’t know about the fridge issue - that alone would be a show stopper- thank you for the insight! The slope is about 5 degrees - maybe 8

Travel trailer chassis as any RV chassis is subject to flex/twist when parked on an uneven surface. Even with levelers the forces that a RV parked on an uneven surface over a period of time will be significant. You might want to consider this.
Didn’t think about that - thank you for the heads up!

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back