• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

cgeszvain

RVF Regular
Hello,
I am considering purchasing a 5th wheel trailer. I currently have a 30' motorhome.
When parking overnight not plugged in we use the generator to make dinner and watch tv. ( with the motorhome).
Can this be done with a trailer? Would I have to purchase a generator? Would an inverter be an alternative? Are trailer sold with inverters?

I would certainly think so, as far as watching TV and using the microwave for a bit. You didn’t mention A/C, so that’s another variable to consider.

The easiest solution is to probably pickup a separate gas or propane generator. Another option might be something like this, it will run our A/C (1150Watts) or the microwave (1100Watts) for roughly 30 minutes, but certainly not both. At 922Watthours capacity, it would run 50W TV for the evening w/o a problem. However, its got to be recharged the next day using AC, DC, or Solar.

I would certainly think so, as far as watching TV and using the microwave for a bit. You didn’t mention A/C, so that’s another variable to consider.

The easiest solution is to probably pickup a separate gas or propane generator. Another option might be something like this, it will run our A/C (1150Watts) or the microwave (1100Watts) for roughly 30 minutes, but certainly not both. At 922Watthours capacity, it would run 50W TV for the evening w/o a problem. However, its got to be recharged the next day using AC, DC, or Solar.
You can purchase a generator properly sized for your TT. I am not sure if you have an inverter If you have an inverter chances are the available 12 volt power will be depleted very quickly using any large appliance if it will even run them. If you have a shore power hookup that is where you will plug in your power cord and run it to the generator. Word of caution have the main power shut off when you start the generator to avoid a surge to the system. Once generator turn power back on. Properly sized you can run everything that you can on shore power. Make sure the power cord is rated for the ampacity of the maximum power demand of the power system.

Good rule of thumb for sizing gennies: max surge of what will be running at the same time X 2

And yes, compressors will occasionally all cycle on at the same time. I have 3 (freezer, refrigerator and air conditioner) that ran just fine on a 2500.... until all three compressors cycled on at the same time and the genny couldn't handle it. Currently I have an LP genny that can run EVERYTHING at the same time. It was cheaper to go bigger. Also generator fuel consumption tends to be rated at a 50% load. At 50% load I can run everything but only one air conditioner. My genny will eat a 20lb tank overnight. And that is my criteria for checking into a CG/RVP... Which is cheaper, filling a 20# tank or paying for a site with electric.

If you’re still looking for a 5th wheel, there are models with generators or wired for generator install. I had one that was prepped and I installed one that ran on propane and tied it into the tanks in the trailer. The gen usually is put in the large storage compartment up front. Mine was sealed from the manufacture to prevent fumes getting in the Rv. The only thing I did kind of off the wall is I ran the exhaust all the way out the back of the trailer. Put a “Y” in the exhaust to make it look like dual exhaust with chrome tips. Man did I get some funny looks when going down the road.

Latest resources

Back