• Commercial/Vendors welcome

Plumbing Upgrades - Feedback wanted!

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
For my automatic fresh water shut off, I went to a farm supply store and bought a "stock tank float valve" (in 2010). Cheap, easy and doesn't require any fancy stuff. Also easy to replace if I should ever need to. It was mounted into a Valterra ABS tank. I only use water from my fresh tank. Once it goes thru my filters, the flow was reduced to a trickle, it was better to simply let the fresh tank fill slowly and then use the float valve to shut off the water supply once the tank level got high enough.
How did you mechanically use a stock float tank valve? Did you cut a big hole in the tank? Or did you put a secondary tank (at the same fluid level as the primary) and put the valve in there?

I'm thinking of adding an electric valve so I can turn off city water from inside the coach. I want to better cycle my fresh tank and of course never go outside :)
Is muscular atrophy in your future? :whistle:

How did you mechanically use a stock float tank valve? Did you cut a big hole in the tank? Or did you put a secondary tank (at the same fluid level as the primary) and put the valve in there?
#1 I built my "RV" inside a bus. In my case "RV" means "Residential Vehicle"
#2 I installed a Valterra ABS tank. It can be glued up just like residential plumbing. After owning an Apache Solid State popup with ABS wall panels instead of canvas, I have become very proficient in the repair and modification of ABS.
#3 I cut a hole in the top of the ABS tank just large enough to get the tank float (biggest part of the valve) and the valve body into the tank, and then a small hole to thread the small water inlet section thru the side of the ABS tank. The larger hole was then sealed up. I can still open it back up if I ever need to replace the tank valve.

If I ever need to do this on a sticks-&-staples recreational vehicle, I would simply buy the small 6 gallon Valterra ABS tank (8"X16"X12" Long), install the stock tank valve and tie it into the factory tank so that it the Valterra tank will hold at the same level as the factory tank. This would do me until I could replace the factory tank as I loathe and despise poly tanks (and have ever since I replaced the first one on my old popup). I love that I always have a "filled" fresh tank.

#1 I built my "RV" inside a bus. In my case "RV" means "Residential Vehicle"
#2 I installed a Valterra ABS tank. It can be glued up just like residential plumbing. After owning an Apache Solid State popup with ABS wall panels instead of canvas, I have become very proficient in the repair and modification of ABS.
#3 I cut a hole in the top of the ABS tank just large enough to get the tank float (biggest part of the valve) and the valve body into the tank, and then a small hole to thread the small water inlet section thru the side of the ABS tank. The larger hole was then sealed up. I can still open it back up if I ever need to replace the tank valve.

If I ever need to do this on a sticks-&-staples recreational vehicle, I would simply buy the small 6 gallon Valterra ABS tank (8"X16"X12" Long), install the stock tank valve and tie it into the factory tank so that it the Valterra tank will hold at the same level as the factory tank. This would do me until I could replace the factory tank as I loathe and despise poly tanks (and have ever since I replaced the first one on my old popup). I love that I always have a "filled" fresh tank.
I think I get it. Sounds like you have done a lot of work creating your home on wheels. Consider creating a thread describing the journey with pictures!

Latest resources

Back