Chassis
Freightliner
Engine
Cummins 340 hp
TOW/TOAD
2013 Subaru Crosstrek - manual, flat tow
Fulltimer
No
We were out 79 days and just returned last week - we always put a hold on our mail and pick up a basketful when we return.
HOWEVER, this year they informed us that after 30 days, all mail was RETURNED TO SENDER. They never did this before, and we were out 46 days last fall.
We’re baffled - is this a new policy? When we put the hold on the mail, we filled out a form with a return date indicated (we were actually a few days early returning). Why didn’t they mention this 30-day limit? Nothing indicated on the form, either.
On the plus side, we might drop off a few unwanted mailing lists.

Same thing happened to us a couple trips ago. If you do it on line, you can extend every thirty days but you can only do it for thirty days at a time. Here’s a link to get started:

If you get back early you can also cancel the hold. And there is a box to check to either pick up your held mail once you get home at the PO of have it delivered. Since our PO is about a half hour drive and has a parking lot designed for a half dozen Model As, and is always crowded, we have them deliver it.

What a hassle though - it may be mostly junk (we call getting the mail “taking out the trash”) but they sent a lot of stuff back that mattered (DMV for instance) causing all manner of postal mayhem.

Same thing happened to us a couple trips ago. If you do it on line, you can extend every thirty days but you can only do it for thirty days at a time. Here’s a link to get started:

If you get back early you can also cancel the hold. And there is a box to check to either pick up your held mail once you get home at the PO of have it delivered,

What a hassle though - it may be mostly junk (we call getting the mail “taking out the trash”) but they sent a lot of stuff back that mattered (DMV for instance) causing all manner of postal mayhem.
Same for us - we were specifically looking for the title renewal form for the RV, but as it happened, that was easily remedied. We’ve no idea what else was returned - I guess if it was important we’ll find out when the sheriff shows up. 😆

Same for us - we were specifically looking for the title renewal form for the RV, but as it happened, that was easily remedied. We’ve no idea what else was returned - I guess if it was important we’ll find out when the sheriff shows up. 😆
That was how we handled it, but it was one more complication we didn’t need. Fortunately once you establish an on-line presence, the process of holding, extending, and canceling is easy.

This policy of limited hold time has been in place for at least a few years.
We transitioned to using a mailing service address about 3 years ago and it has been our primary service. We plan to keep it for the foreseeable future.
By default they hold the mail and we can see via the app or website what is in the mailbox. When we are ready, we have the mail sent to us, wherever we happen to be.

I use the USPS online process for mail holds and I signed up for their "informed delivery" service. Informed delivery send a scanned picture of your mail each day regardless of on hold or not. This allows you to see whats flowing. Interesting comments about extending the hold, I've not seen that option. I typically set the hold for the max 30 days then a couple days prior to the expiration I go online, cancel the hold, and initiate another hold starting the same day I cancel. I also choose the I'll pick up the mail vs have the carrier deliver. So far to the best of my knowledge they have never returned any mail.

I use the USPS online process for mail holds and I signed up for their "informed delivery" service. Informed delivery send a scanned picture of your mail each day regardless of on hold or not. This allows you to see whats flowing. Interesting comments about extending the hold, I've not seen that option. I typically set the hold for the max 30 days then a couple days prior to the expiration I go online, cancel the hold, and initiate another hold starting the same day I cancel. I also choose the I'll pick up the mail vs have the carrier deliver. So far to the best of my knowledge they have never returned any mail.
Thats basically the same process I use to extend another 30 days. It probably depends on the PO - my last one (that I used for 20 years) served a community of just over 400 people and they would never have done such a thing. Now I’m in a larger community with entirely impersonal service, so no special consideration. And as it is my mailbox is a multi-address thing a mile from my house. They sent back my mail before I realized the hold expired in 30 days, but even had I realized that, I would never have expected them to send it all back - almost seemed punitive or adversarial. So I’m much more careful now.

I don't understand the casual attitude!!!
When young, mail was delivered to the door twice a day! In that day a postage stamp was considered a contract! You didn't have to pay extra for return receipt to guarantee delivery! Now return receipt won't even get a signature!

Honestly! I won't use them! I use a PMB, and would never consider USPS for delivery of anything! Consider that as my boycott! Not for their less than honorable service, but rather, I have doubled down after November 2020.

Here is the first paragraph on the USPS webpage for hold mail. Not sure how much clearer they could be!

USPS Hold Mail Service​

Pause Mail Delivery Online​

USPS Hold Mail® service can hold your mail safely at your local Post Office™ facility until you return, for up to 30 days. To hold your mail longer or to reroute your mail, please sign up for a forwarding service.

I don't understand the casual attitude!!!
When young, mail was delivered to the door twice a day! In that day a postage stamp was considered a contract! You didn't have to pay extra for return receipt to guarantee delivery! Now return receipt won't even get a signature!

Honestly! I won't use them! I use a PMB, and would never consider USPS for delivery of anything! Consider that as my boycott! Not for their less than honorable service, but rather, I have doubled down after November 2020.
For over 20 years I lived in an area with no home mail delivery - too rural so PO box only, but it was free to locals. Now that I moved back to civilization, my mailbox is only a mile or so from the house. As I said above, I mostly find junk in it, but its nice to have a mailing address.

Latest resources

Back