RV Model
Dutch Star 3858
RV Length
38 ft
TOW/TOAD
None
Fulltimer
No
Friend of mine that does purchases for a trailer manufacture, told me today that a truck
load of plywood that he paid $8,000.00 for six months ago, cost $40,000.00 now.

I wouldn't be surprised. As part of a reroofing project I had to do, I decided the add a roofed porch instead of our failing deck. The posts I chose to support it cost me like $48 each. Made me grit my teeth right off. But they didn't have all I needed in that store. So I figured I'd get the remainder at the next store over later. Three days later I went to get them, $56 each. I asked if there were a mistake. No, that was right. That was a couple months ago. I went to the same original store and noticed they were $85 each. Sheesh. Original plan for a "porch" has now changed to a roofed concrete patio. We have roof anyway. All the related building materials I've been shopping have gone up but lumber is obscene. Roof couldn't wait though.

We have "mushroom houses" popping up all over. From nothing to cleared land and then suddenly two to six new identical houses all in a row. Everywhere it seems. They are steadily building them as fast as they can. And people are buying them. How they are making the money work is beyond me. I have to wonder how the price of one built two years ago compares to one just finished.

I wonder how home builders are going to handle this.

Had a builder friend tell me that an addition he priced, went from $96,000 to $118,000 in 90 days! Scary!

I do know the home I had built, went up approximately $30,000 in 120 days, because a new neighbor had the same house built, but with a couple minor changes!
Shocked me!

No wonder it is a "sellers" market, at this time!

This price increase in lumber is being matched by the steel industry dollar for dollar. One of the commercial bodies that I sell has included a 20% steel surcharge on top of a 5% price increase at the first of the year. The price of the trucks are going up almost as rapidly too. The stock market is making new all time highs. This is almost exactly like the 2000 dot.com bubble and the 2008 housing bubble. Last week I pulled all our 401K money out of stocks and put them into a money market mutual fund for safety. The crash is coming folks. Better get ready.

This price increase in lumber is being matched by the steel industry dollar for dollar.
PVC as well. A 20' long piece of 4" schedule 40 pipe is now over $30!

So I wonder, is this going to affect the RV industry?

The custom home builders in my area, Texas Hill Country, are only giving cost plus a fixed fee estimate. The median sales price of homes in the Austin, TX, area is $412,000, up 22% from last year. The issue is, you can't find one to buy.

The problem is you sell and unless you're prepared to move away you have to reinvest your sell price plus more out-of-pocket $$$ if you want to upgrade. Taxes are causing many long-term owners to sell. Unfortunately, many are taking up the full-time RV lifestyle. Crazy times we're in. With Kalyfornians coming here by truckloads, the housing shortage is not going to improve in the near term.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back