Rustymayes

RVF VIP
RV Year
RV Make
Newmar
RV Model
Fulltimer
No
I am in Nor Cal and live about 200 feet above sea level and every year we get a few weather events where the morning low temps can get to the low 30s and high 20s. I keep our new 4081 in a covered barn. I keep the water tank at about 1/3 full instead of keeping it hooked to the ranch domestic water. I am wondering if I need to worry about the water system freezing. Usually, temps only stay in the lows for a couple of hours with day time temps averaging in the 50s through out the winter months. I read somewhere about holding tank heaters but do not know if that is an option or standard or how to operate them. Happy to hear any thoughts you might have.
Thanks

We live in the Bay Area with weather very similar to you. Our 2017 DS 4018 sits uncovered in our backyard all year (when we are not traveling which is about 3 months spread throughout the year). We have never had a problem with anything in the coach freezing and have never winterized the coach. I don’t think you need to worry in your situation. You especially don’t need to worry about your holding tanks.

I live at 1140’ and also do not winterize. But I do leave the rig plugged in with the Oasis on ACI/II and the t-stat at 45-50. So the system stays warm enough to keep from freezing including, I expect, the heat exchanger in the wet bay (now that you brought this up I’ll check it in the morning).

We can get some freezes in the 20’s (this year we had one in March that ruined the yield from all the grape varieties that bud early) and those worry me. It doesn't take much to keep the coach warm enough to avoid freezing and fixing freeze-damaged water lines would be a real unpleasant and unnecessary chore.

I’m certain you have waste tank heaters but unless you are using the rig in really cold areas (I froze a black tank in NH years ago) there is no reason to use them. My coach has a rocker switch labled Tank Heat Pads with a small green LED indicator on the control panel. Being a new coach and quite a bit more modern, yours is probably different but Im sure it has them. Probably one of them Silver-tooth deals….:unsure:

Well I couldn’t stand not knowing for sure so I just went out and checked. I left the temp in the coach at 65° today because I spent some time working on stuff in there, and did a little lounging with a glass of very local Port. I just checked the wet bay temp and it is 63° while the pavement temp is 36°.

So it works as claimed and I’m satisfied that I wont have any freeze related issues. All three tanks are right behind the wet bay panel (as I guess is standard) extending all the way to the pegboard compartment (I put in some shelves pegboard being useless) on the other side. So they would all be about that temp as well.

And one last post script: I checked the brochures from 2016 onward and “110-Volt Heat Pads for Holding Tanks” is listed as an option up until 2018. After that no mention of them. Maybe they decided it was a redundant system and discontinued it since you need AC power to use them, and if you have that you can use your Oasis on AC. So Rusty, maybe you don’t have the heat pads.

Not exactly sure when they eliminated the tank heater pads, 2017 had them but not on the 2020. When I asked about them I was told Newmar decided they were not required.
We spend every May in Montana and can say I’ve never seen wet bay temp below 50* while plugged in and Oasis on AC1/2.

Thanks guys, That makes me feel better about how the coach is built. When I had my 89 Fleetwood Flair I did not winterize it either and had no issues. When a hard freeze is forecast I will set the thermostats at 50 or so and feel good that all will be fine. Just hate to be chasing broken water lines due to negligence!

I am in Nor Cal and live about 200 feet above sea level and every year we get a few weather events where the morning low temps can get to the low 30s and high 20s. I keep our new 4081 in a covered barn. I keep the water tank at about 1/3 full instead of keeping it hooked to the ranch domestic water. I am wondering if I need to worry about the water system freezing. Usually, temps only stay in the lows for a couple of hours with day time temps averaging in the 50s through out the winter months. I read somewhere about holding tank heaters but do not know if that is an option or standard or how to operate them. Happy to hear any thoughts you might have.
Thanks
We have spent many years in the CA central valley and occasionally have seen temps in the 20s. I have a monitor in the wet bay as well as inside the coach. Temps usually are in the 50s in the days as well during theses times. My wet bay sensor normally indicates the lowest temp roughly about 10 degrees higher than outside ambient during cold spells. I have never had to winterize in over 20 years but would not hesitate if temperatures were forecast to be in the low 20s or teens and day time not above freezing.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back