Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

How To Replace A/c power brick with straight through 12v 1 amp connection.

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

RollingManCave

RVF Regular
RV Year
RV Make
Coachman Freelander 22 XG
RV Model
Chassis
Ford E350
TOW/TOAD
I have a device that uses 12v 1amp power from a small a/c power brick. Is it possible to cut off the power brick and wire it to my 12 volt system?
Thanks for any advice.

Depends on the output of the source. Most cigarette lighter sockets for example supply 5 mA or about half of what you want. Is the device specifically rated to be used without a step down converter (wall wort)? Use a multi-meter to test your 12v source. Once you find an appropriate source, add a 1 amp in-line fuse for protection.

Your power brick likely puts out 12VDC while the vehicle voltage will vary from say 11V-14V depending on whether you are pull power from house or chassis and whether charging is taking place. You need to ensure that the device being powered is capable of such a range and if not use a DC-DC voltage regulator to get the desired 12VDC.

Most of my cigarette lighter female plugs support 12 volts on a 10 amp fuse protected circuit. Your one amp device will typically be no problem. Your slight problem will be trying to determine which wires are positive and negative.

Rick

What device are you trying to power?

Then I will answer your question.

Depends on the output of the source. Most cigarette lighter sockets for example supply 5 mA or about half of what you want. Is the device specifically rated to be used without a step down converter (wall wort)? Use a multi-meter to test your 12v source. Once you find an appropriate source, add a 1 amp in-line fuse for protection

Depends on the output of the source. Most cigarette lighter sockets for example supply 5 mA or about half of what you want. Is the device specifically rated to be used without a step down converter (wall wort)? Use a multi-meter to test your 12v source. Once you find an appropriate source, add a 1 amp in-line fuse for protection.
Yes it uses a A/C adapter plugged into 110. After cutting the wires I should test the wall adapter. My understanding so far is the 12 volts need to stay the same, but the amps need to be 1 amp or higher. You are also saying I should add a 1-amp fuse to the wire. should I place the fuse on the + or - side?

Your power brick likely puts out 12VDC while the vehicle voltage will vary from say 11V-14V depending on whether you are pull power from house or chassis and whether charging is taking place. You need to ensure that the device being powered is capable of such a range and if not use a DC-DC voltage regulator to get the desired 12VDC.
I understand to keep the Volts withing the Acceptible range or at the 12 volts. If I need the DC to DC, would this work: Amazon.com
I would just need to figure a way to mount the DC to DC. That should not be a problem.
Thank you!

Most of my cigarette lighter female plugs support 12 volts on a 10 amp fuse protected circuit. Your one amp device will typically be no problem. Your slight problem will be trying to determine which wires are positive and negative.

Rick
I purchased a clamp meter with A/C D/C. I think this will allow me to determine that. Thank you!

What device are you trying to power?

Then I will answer your question.
Thank you, Kevin, I think I got it handled. The manufacture replied that it is 12volt 1 amp and is now checking on the Voltage range but believe the product was designed for a 12 volt range that would work on an automobile battery setup so I should be ok. I may buy the DC-DC inexpensive converters anyway because they are cool, and I would like to experiment with them on other projects. By the way I used some of your advice on the solar decisions, so thank you for that.

I understand to keep the Volts withing the Acceptible range or at the 12 volts. If I need the DC to DC, would this work: Amazon.com
I would just need to figure a way to mount the DC to DC. That should not be a problem.
Thank you!
That would work. I've also purchased these and these, but I prefer this one for mounting.

Latest resources

Back