Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

What do you use for your Internet connection?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web

How do you connect to the Internet when you are using your RV?

• Cable TV wired connection (it's not Internet, but it's how I watch TV)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Separate mobile hotspot. It costs $20 per month and I can work, study, and stream. Never had an issue.

Maybe it was confusing in the survey: so far no one has selected either DirecTV, or Cable or Dish Satellite. No one using any of these three? Now, I don't use any of them either....just checking.
I was going to add "Watch movies via ripped DVDs" and "Watch DVDs" and "Stream TV" but not enough survey slots...I guess that's a different poll :)
We still have Direct Tv, and are considering other choices. We are not full timers, enjoy travel in the fall, but are huge 49er fans. Now Direct Tv has lost the Nfl ticket! That has us considering other choices. Actually, we have a good on air antenna, and enjoy watching local news in various states. It is interesting to see how the news feed is presented in different parts of our country. Of course, with Direct Tv, we still have stuff to watch., There is often cable also in rv parks, and is often very average,, but we, for now, sort of enjoy being semi disconnected. Our kids are disconcerted when we are out of touch for a bit, and not streaming the latest! Lol. Judy D

Last edited:
Media? At this time I can receive quality service using any cell service, so I use T Mobile prepaid. When it gets sketchy, it's Starlink. I don't watch Tell-Lie-Vision, or predictive programming tools, so no such box or panel is setup in my rig. That stuff hit a trash bin near me about 4 years ago, and I haven't looked back!!!

My primary Internet connection is Starlink In Motion using a Cradlepoint R1900 5G WiFi router. I also have an AT&T SIM in the Cradlepoint router with an AT&T data connect plan as my fallback Internet connection should Starlink go down. I can also hot spot, or use unlimited data for Internet, from/on my iPhone. I also have Dish Satellite TV.

I think I have all my bases covered... 😉

Visible Plus for $35/month unlimited, unthrottled data on an iphone connected to a GL.iNet travel router with a few lines of extra code written into the firmware and modified firewall rules. So far, it's preformed every bit as good as a friends starlink, in fact, he's now questioning why he's spending so much for internet after we did a side by side comparison. My last billing cycle, we used almost 900GB of data streaming video on TV, using two laptops for whatever and an ipad.

Visible Plus for $35/month unlimited, unthrottled data on an iphone connected to a GL.iNet travel router with a few lines of extra code written into the firmware and modified firewall rules. So far, it's preformed every bit as good as a friends starlink, in fact, he's now questioning why he's spending so much for internet after we did a side by side comparison. My last billing cycle, we used almost 900GB of data streaming video on TV, using two laptops for whatever and an ipad.
Kinda hard to get a real side by side between cellular and Starlink. If you both drive to the desert, cellular would have zero, and Starlink would be happy. That's what I see is the value of Starlink. On that campground, on that day, ok one is better than the other. Move 10 miles and it might be completely different.

I will be building Wifi / Cellular / Starlink into my near future setup. And my own user interface to manage all connections because none of the solutions do that well today (IMHO). The standard networking user interfaces are too techy for great majority of users. Needs to be simplified.

Last edited:
I had to choose "Hotspot using my cellular phone" which really isn't accurate. I use a dedicated cheap cellphone running thru a GL.iNet GL-MT1300 (Beryl) VPN Secure Travel Gigabit Wireless Router on a $30/mo Visible unlimited data plan. We run a firestick for Prime Video & Music along with a few other streaming channels. My little Harbor Freight Cobra security system runs thru the router and we can check on things while we are away. I never use any park wifi because we stream movies/TV shows/music and run two laptops and two cellphones off the Visible wifi. Park wifi is pretty much only good for checking one's email.

My personal cellphone is now a cheap Visible phone with the unlimited plan and my daughter is still on the AT&T plan. She's paying more for her one phone than for the two Visible plans. Of course she upgraded her phone and is now stuck with them until her phone is paid off.

Just in the Keys and did a speed test on my iPhone 15 Pro Max on T-Mobile: 606 down and 26 up. I’ve been finding 5G has been great most place we’ve been.

I did a speed test yesterday on AT&T 5G+ at my current location in Casa Grande, AZ with my iPhone 14 Pro. I was impressed with the speed test results.

IMG_4140-L.png

IMG_4141-L.png

So for the non full timers and for those that use a router based router (Peplink / WifiRanger etc)...do you keep an active cell subscription on your RV cellular built in router? Do you need more than one per LTE connection? Or is there a month to month subscription?

Latest resources

Back