Chassis
Freightliner XCR
Engine
Cummins 400 HP
TOW/TOAD
2017 Chevy Colorado
Fulltimer
No
I've been lucky as to date in nearly 7 years only one pump has gone - zone 2, about a year ago. The summer loop has been a bit loud for some time but as long as it worked I left it alone. RIP summer loop pump, you served me well, today you were replaced.

Note: Staring at the computer dreading the manual labor apparently does not make the pump change itself...so I finally went out and did the deed.

It took longer to empty the basement and reload it than actually changing the pump, I think, or about the same time.

Summer loop pump is the far left pump.

Steps:
  1. Remove wall on passenger side behind OASIS area which is where the pumps are located.
  2. Disconnect electrical pigtail from distribution box (per ITR's instructions, RTM y'all!)
  3. Remove panel from pump unit
  4. Clamp inlet side of pump
  5. Stuff rags or paper towels below, stuff is going to come out, you probably should wear gloves too
  6. Disconnect two spade connectors
  7. Use pliers to squeeze the hose clamp and work like crazy to wiggle jiggle and ziggle the pump out, it's not easy, both ends.
Reconnect all, insert new fuse, test.

IMG_5417.JPG

IMG_5419.JPG

IMG_5418.JPG

Thanks Neal.

Where is the best place to purchase a new pump? I'd like to have a spare.

US solar Pump is the exact replacement I've used successfully for 2 years. Model C1E 12V 20L

Any theories about why these pumps fail so often?

We have these pumps moving hot coolant in an enclosed space with no air circulation. I wonder if it would be a good idea to always operate the pumps with the Oasis cover off for air circulation?

I think ITR got a bad batch or bad design from China. I’ve had good luck with mine. Others less reliable. I think it’s worked out now.

So I know nothing about this but reading the label on the ITR pump it clearly states don't run dry. I get it is a lubrication issue so it begs the question!

By the pump placement can an air bubble form that can not be purged while running???

So I know nothing about this but reading the label on the ITR pump it clearly states don't run dry. I get it is a lubrication issue so it begs the question!

By the pump placement can an air bubble form that can not be purged while running???

And is it possible this happens after a long period of inactivity with the coolant draining away from the pump? I wonder how long it can run before failure trying to prime a system that has been drained of coolant over time.

I don't think they can ever run dry - its a sealed system. You always have to clamp both hoses to R&R a pump and you still get coolant spilling out. I think they are always primed just by gravity, running or not.

Latest resources

Back