• Commercial/Vendors welcome

How To Replace a summer loop pump in a ITR OASIS Hydronic heater

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
I think these pumps are magnetic drive. Here is a good source to understand these pumps. In motor homes they operate continuously to provide "always hot" water. I wonder if it would be a good idea to use a cabin motion sensing switch to turn on the pump anytime motion is sensed in the cabin? I suspect these pumps fail with simple bearing wear. @Neal save your old pump, tear it down and look at the bearing.
They don’t have a bearing - the impeller just floats on the magnetic field. So as far as I can tell, when they fail its electrical - a sealed coil of some sort. You can see in the second pic what happened when I tried to bench test a failed pump “motor” with the impeller out.

IMG_8095.jpeg

IMG_8098.jpeg

Edit - correction (great article btw) There is a rotating shaft in the sealed motor which, according to this article, rides on a bearing or bushing. I can see how that could fail and once it does the motor seizes up and pops fuses, or in the case of applying current on the bench it lets the smoke out.
IMG_2666.jpeg

From the article: “Bearing Wear: In mag-drive pumps, the bearings operate close to the magnets, which can cause increased friction and wear and result in increased maintenance requirements.“

Last edited:
They don’t have a bearing - the impeller just floats on the magnetic field. So as far as I can tell, when they fail its electrical - a sealed coil of some sort. You can see in the second pic what happened when I tried to bench test a failed pump “motor” with the impeller out.

View attachment 21338

View attachment 21337

Or maybe not so sealed and that is the problem. Coolant intrusion into the coil?

then there is this:

Dry Run Protection

A principal reason for pump malfunction is operating without fluid, often resulting from human errors or system disturbances. In such situations, pumps may continue to function with no fluid, which leads to rapid deterioration or destruction of the pump in many instances. Nevertheless, specific mag-drive pump configurations can withstand dry operation. In industrial settings where pumps do not receive continuous monitoring, this capability to function without fluid can expressively reduce the likelihood of pump breakdowns and related expenses.

when things stop they gum up, corrode, who knows and don't come back on. It's like we hear....lightbulbs don't die when on, it's the turning on and off that kills them.
I don’t know about that. I usually shut my Cummins engine down when I’m not using the coach. Why would you want the Oasis on if your coach is stored & plugged in. Makes no sense to me. I wonder what ITR suggests. I haven’t read anything on turning the unit on/off when not in use.

We have had our coach for 3 years and it is now 10 years old.
Except when we have done maintenance, we have never turned the oasis off at the control box next to the main green unit. We have only turned it to “off” inside the coach on the panel.
I don’t recall if flipping the inside switch to off stops the oasis pumps from running. Would assume so, but don’t recall.
Interesting thread, continuing to follow as we want to learn to avoid unnecessary repairs.

I don't have the manual open but I believe ITR addresses "cavitation" in the pump replacement instructions. If for some reason fluid doesn't flow and the pump needs to prime, or whatever this is under, is documented somewhere by ITR.

View attachment 21338

View attachment 21337

Edit - correction (great article btw) There is a rotating shaft in the sealed motor which, according to this article, rides on a bearing or bushing. I can see how that could fail and once it does the motor seizes up and pops fuses, or in the case of applying current on the bench it lets the smoke out.
View attachment 21339

From the article: “Bearing Wear: In mag-drive pumps, the bearings operate close to the magnets, which can cause increased friction and wear and result in increased maintenance requirements.“
So in the last 2 weeks, what have we learned?
1. The fluid in the system changes Ph! It appears to go acidic.

2. The pump runs all the time.

3. The expansion tank can, or is open to the environment (may lead to fluid contamination).

4. Bearings in motor fail.

We have also learned that many articles, and there drawings are not proofed.

What we or I don't know?

1. What kind of Bearing are used (ceramic would offer longest life)?

2. Is the motor brushless(if brushed no hope)?

3. How often is the fluid replaced?

To avoid misinformation, I would like to dispel, and get us back on track!!! The common refrigerator is constantly turned on and off, and many have seen lives well over 20 years. This is made possible using closed systems. An electric motor has one weak link, the Bearings. In the case of a sealed compressor there are no brushes, and the Bearings are not lubricated with grease. Ceramic Bearing when used require little lubricant.

So how can we increase the life of our system?
With the system as it sits. Check the Ph of the fluid on a schedule. Make sure there are no airlocks. Only run the system when aboard the vessel, or when required. I the pump has any of the above shortcomings, only two things you can do! Find a commercial pump, or reduce the hours you put on it!!! I agree with @Neemer or was that @J&JD there is no reason cycling should reduce it's life.

Latest resources

Back