Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest RV Community on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, review campgrounds
  • Get the most out of the RV Lifestyle
  • Invite everyone to RVForums.com and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome

Question Rettroband - are they worth it?

Welcome to RVForums.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends and let's have fun
  • Commercial/Vendors welcome
  • Friendliest RV community on the web
Anyone seen a video of how they are installed? I'd love to see an installation and what's involved. Were the v1 failures install errors or product defects? We won't really know. I can't imagine it's that hard. People build RV's, cars, airplanes, houses, whatever. They can probably install something like a rettroband. So again, show me the process, educate us.
There is a 20 minute or so video on YouTube where towards the end they have a NIRVC technician install Rettrobands. Very informative.

NIRVC had a problem with shops installing the Rettrobands incorrectly early on which caused some failures of the V1 units. After that experience, causing a redesign to V2. NIRVC, in an effort to improve Quality Control, required installation of the V2 to be done at their shops.

Some of the V1 failures also happened to be installed by NIRVC shops. The President wants to not only insure the installation is done correctly, but has made an significant effort to train all their locations on the proper installation techniques.

NIRVC owns the design and the liability. Their reputation is on the line with this product. News of One major accident with Rettrobands installed will travel the Net quickly and doom, what in my opinion, a very useful safety product.
And more to this point, I found this quote from Brett Davis that was in an article by the RVGeeks when he was asked what to do when you you need to replace the tire due to blowout or otherwise…and why he requires folks to come to his locations for reinstallation:

“At this point we’ve had a few dozen Rettroband customers who have had blowouts. No customer has ever had any difficulty in removing the Rettroband. Remember, the tire is shot. No mechanic has had a problem turning the two 3/8” nuts counterclockwise to loosen the Rettroband, and then remove it. Unfortunately, they will have to come to an NIRVC to have the reinstall done. The reason for this is, we guarantee the product for life. We want to know about every blowout, and replace the old band and gearboxes with brand new ones, simply because we don’t know if the integrity was compromised at all during the blowout and subsequent driving. I’d rather be safe than sorry. We’ve tested, plus had dozens of blowouts at this point, and the product works as advertised. However, we have never tested the reuse of a Rettroband after it has been through a blowout. I never saw the point, because every blowout is different. Reusing a Rettroband after a particularly bad blowout seemed too risky to me.”

They had a video back in the beginning where you could watch them do the install. That video has since been removed.

Impact guns. I think I remember reading that people were installing the bands with impact guns (nobody installs stuff without one today) and were over torquing which did something to the bands - even their own people were using the impact guns and ruined some.

At this point we’ve had a few dozen Rettroband customers who have had blowouts.
Well, we've all wondered if there have been any blowouts using RettroBands (v2). Is there a gallery somewhere showing the customers' RV so we can see the success stories? Yeah, I've seen the controlled test with Brett driving an Entegra. Let's see the others.
Unfortunately, they will have to come to an NIRVC to have the reinstall done. The reason for this is, we guarantee the product for life. We want to know about every blowout, and replace the old band and gearboxes with brand new ones, simply because we don’t know if the integrity was compromised at all during the blowout and subsequent driving
Simple resolution: Send us your used RettroBand and we'll send you a replacement at no charge.

I’ve searched for Rettroband experience and was able to find one on video. Clearly there have been others according to statements by NIRVC.
here is one

Latest resources

Back